Expanding RAM

Reaction score
I am thinking of purchasing a macbook pro. I have been looking a new and used models. I need a heavy set of ram for music performance. When you purchase a macbook pro in the apple.com store, it is an astonishing $1,000 to upgrade the ram from 4gb to 8. Why is this so expensive? I was looking on ebay and other sites for a possible cheaper priced upgrade that I could install on my own. My question is: does the ram that apple installs in their computers perform better than, say some generic 4gb ram I purchased on ebay for $50? Could I upgrade to 6gb ram rather than 8? What is my best option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I would say your best option is to buy the baseline amount of RAM they offer, then get RAM elsewhere. I recommend Crucial.com RAM. I was able to get a 4GB kit for mine for $53. Now i just looked on Crucial, and an 8Gb kit through them is $980, so there isn't too much of a price difference between them and Apple, so it's pretty much up to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
Yep, must agree.

Get the machine with the stock RAM and upgrade later. There is absolutely no justification for the outrageous cost of Apple-upgraded RAM.

I just bought generic RAM and haven't had a problem since, 4Gb works just great in this MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.