Upgrading Ram from 2GB to 4GB

Reaction score
I heard there have been compatibility issues with some aftermarket ram upgrades on the new aluminum macbook. Does anyone know of a list of compatible ram? I would hate to buy some and not have it work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I'd suggest to look here:

Apple Mac MacBook and MacBook Pro Memory

and ask them about returns on ram if it proves incompatible. I've dealt with them before for ram and have had good results. A lot on the compatibility issues it seems will depend on the model of laptop you have and the type of ram it actually requires (ie: if it requires DDR3 and you put in DDR2 ram)

Good luck!

ps - I should note that I did read something along with what you're talking about, but since I don't currently have a Mac notebook, I never expanded my research. I'm hoping that memoryx will give you some good news - either way, please report back what you find out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I heard there have been compatibility issues with some aftermarket ram upgrades on the new aluminum macbook. Does anyone know of a list of compatible ram? I would hate to buy some and not have it work.

You didn't mention exactly what model MacBook you have...but you could try these guys as well:

Find the latest Performance Upgrades, Firewire and USB Hard Drives, SATA, Memory, Laptop Battery, and more at OWC

They have a great system for identifying the correct ram for your computer, and if for some reason the ram doesn't work properly when you install it, they have a great/liberal return policy.

- Nick

Reaction score
I have a Mac Book Pro that i bought new in December of 06. I have heard that I can upgrade to 4 gigs of RAM with Leopard but others have said 2 gigs is the max. Can anyone verify this for me?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks for the help, and yes you can get 4gb of ram in that model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
Sorry to thread jack,

But what will be the max RAM in the AL Macbooks once snow Leopard is out? I know that the NVidia card can take up to six? Why I'm confused is b/c i hear that Ram pairs are better but then I also read that more Ram is better. I need the RAM for photoshop+Apeture or LR (i haven't chosen yet) and VM Fusion when I run that...My computer slows a lot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.