Mobile Phone Tools

R

robbo

Anyone had any luck finding (Motorola) Mobile Phone Tools for Macintosh OS9 or 10???? Never looked before. Or is this just something for Windoz??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you buy a USB cable, iSync will connect to most Motorola phones. Check the supported device list on Apple's website. Bluetooth works too, if your Mac and phone have it.

You can also use some phones as modems. Google for it.

OP
M

mamatroll

cell phone tools

I found an inexpensive data cable from cellphone shop.com (hope it's OK to share that -- I have no interest in the site ) and I was able to download my phone book. I haven't found any software for downloading the photos on my phone though. Guess they only make that for PCs.

technologist said:
If you buy a USB cable, iSync will connect to most Motorola phones. Check the supported device list on Apple's website. Bluetooth works too, if your Mac and phone have it.

You can also use some phones as modems. Google for it.

Reaction score
It is possible to connect, download, edit and upload things with virtual PC and the Mobile phone tools on the Mac. Sadly Motorola don't seem to care about making software for the Mac, very annoying. :mad:

OP
T

tu plang

Save starting up a new thread, i'll shoot here.

Just wondering if anybody has had any luck syncing a motorola with phone tools through virtual PC. im currently running XP pro on vpc 7 and i cant get XP to detect the phone (although iSync and virtual PC will.) If anyone has had success id love to hear your secrets.

cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
the motorola SW is crap at best ive found, if iSync works and does what you need for get the emulation of it

OP
T

tu plang

as i said isync works fine but being the phonenerd that i am i would like to fiddle around with sending audio and java files to the phone. i cant say that its the moto softwares thats the problem from what ive seen either, it appears that XP (or 98 for that matter) simply doesnt detect the phone through VPC. it has no trouble detecting other USB devices.

also worth noting is that if i select my printer at the same time as the phone under the VPC usb options it will set off the motorola software (as connecting to the phone) but it doesnt achieve anything. when i go back to the usb options the printer is still selected but the phone is not.

Reaction score
You will need to install the p2k driver into VPC to get it to recognise the phone and enable the Java upload menu with the 'PST' program and then upload stuff with midway or the latest version of phone tools.

Here is some information on setting things up in XP:

http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Stu/cdigiamo/tutorial/v220/

If in OSX then the phone will come up as a serial connected device and not as a USB device, try setting up the profile in phone tools as a serial connected phone. If it's not working then try booting in OS9 as VPC is said to handle USB devices better in OS9. The phone should then show up as a USB Modem device.

Let me know how you get on !!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.