Time machine advice..

Reaction score
I have a 500GB external Hard drive I've been using for some time now..

It is currently set as my "time machine backup disk," and when I selected it as so, it formatted the hard drive.

My question is, can I use a portion of the external hard drive to save files to that I don't intend to also have on my macbook while also using it as a time machine backup disk?

I would like to store movies on the external hard drive, but don't want them to also be on my macbook.

Thanks!
Neil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Yes, you can. You will need to re-partition the drive and set aside the size you want to use for time machine and the rest can be your storage. You can do this on the fly in disk utility so you don't lose your time machine backups. I have mine set this way and it all works fine.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Cool thanks!

I just ran disk utility, clicked the seagate HD, then partition then the "+" to add new partition then created a 150GB section to use for external files.

I'm going to run a time machine backup now just in case I lost something.

Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Too late for you since you've already done it.

But, you do not need to have a separate partition for storage of other data. Time Machine does not require it's own partition.

I am using a single 1TB partition for the Time Machine back up for two Mac's, and also storing another copy of my iTunes library and quite a few movies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Too late for you since you've already done it.

But, you do not need to have a separate partition for storage of other data. Time Machine does not require it's own partition.

I am using a single 1TB partition for the Time Machine back up for two Mac's, and also storing another copy of my iTunes library and quite a few movies.

Interesting, I guess I assumed that since time machine took the whole drive in setup that it needed to be dedicated. I really never tried it that way. Thanks for the heads up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Interesting, I guess I assumed that since time machine took the whole drive in setup that it needed to be dedicated. I really never tried it that way. Thanks for the heads up.

bobtomay is correct. The only prerequisite for using Time Machine is that the drive be formatted to HFS +. However, if the drive is to be shared between a Mac and a PC, (two different file systems) then your method of creating a separate partition for Time Machine would apply.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.