How to install windows xp from my soon to be retired pc laptop

Reaction score
Hi,

Just about to set up my new Macbook and want to run windows xp on it via vm fusion.

I have windows xp on my old laptop which I will be scrapping but want to use that copy of window but don't have the original install disk, just got the key for it.

How do I go about it? Can it be done or do I need to buy a new version of xp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Chances are that it is an OEM version of XP and without the original CD you are probably out of luck. Besides, OEM versions usually only install on the machine they were intended for. Dell for instance provides the XP CD, but if you try to use it in an HP machine it will identify that it is not Dell and not continue.

The easiest is to get a retail copy of XP and keep the disc in a safe place when finished. :D

OP
N
Reaction score
Xp was already installed on the laptop when I brought it from new. So never had the original disk.

Reaction score
I think you are likely SOL. You can buy an OEM version of XP SP2/3 from newegg.com (and other locations) pretty cheap.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, another option, if you have all the software and everything on there like what you want, you can use vmware converter to convert your physical machine to a VM to run in fusion...

Of course, legality might be a bit of a question, but technically if you remove the key from the laptop and either wipe the HD or destroy the HD...

I converted my old PC to a VM for my mac and it works fairly well. The only real difference is that I had custom built my PC and had a non-manufacturer specific windows license key.

But if you're planning to do a clean install of windows xp into a vm, yeah your next option is to go out and buy an oem version of xp pro (not a manufacturer specific, but one usually meant for system builders like:

Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP3 OEM Version E85-05683 at TigerDirect.com

or

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center OEM M93-00439 at TigerDirect.com
)

it's almost cheaper to get oem of vista. 64 bit OEM vista premium DSP version (non-bios locked) is only $109. Ultimate version is $189

Reaction score
He has it on his old PC, it's not on his Mac yet (and he can't get it there without a disk), so he's out of luck. Anything else will violate the EULA and we won't support that here. But the new, OEM system builder versions are around $100, not too bad.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
I don't think you understood my thought process on one of the levels - it wasn't to do a new install, it was to migrate his existing laptop to a VM - and you can migrate a system to a VM, and if he isn't disposing of his existing key, he should be ok. Now, a fresh install (whether it be vm or bootcamp, that becomes a separate issue).

If it wasn't legit to migrate a machine from physical to virtual, VMWare wouldn't have a tool to do it (vmware converter), Parallels wouldn't have a tool to do it (Parallels Transporter) and neither would microsoft (to migrate a physical box to VirtualPC, but I can't remember what it's called and it is no where near as advanced as vmwares or parallels tool). I'm not suggesting he do something illegal - and it shouldn't be if he keeps his license key and either keeps the laptop or destroys the data on the hd (or removes the hd) as long as he keeps the key. Now, if the OP converts his machine from physical to virtual, then sells the machine the way it currently is (with key, software installed, etc.) then the OP would definitely be violating all kinds of EULA's and laws.

The only major flaw with it is you're migrating an existing machine - if your current install has issues (whether it be spyware, virus, too much stuff running, etc.) then those issues will obviously follow you. There is also a potential problem with drivers (ie: if you have the soundmax HD audio drivers currently installed - do a conversion, each time you boot the VM it will complain about the drivers and there not being the appropriate hardware, but it won't let you uninstall because it complains there is no compatible hardware so the software won't run).

Not everything violates EULA, and if migrating a physical machine to virtual did violate, a lot of businesses would be in trouble, including VMWare, Parallels and Microsoft (for violating their own EULA :) ). Now I did put in my original post about legality might be in question - and that was referring to what the OP's EULA might (or might not) specify.

OP
N
Reaction score
Went down the route of vmware converter as it was fine to have a direct copy of the old machine which will no longer be used. Like you say, if there is a problem with the legality of it then vmware would have been in a lot of s**t, so sure it is ok.

Thanks for your help.

by the way, I am now having problems dragging files from my mac desktop to the virtual pc desktop. any ideas????? :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
by the way, I am now having problems dragging files from my mac desktop to the virtual pc desktop. any ideas????? :)

VMWare Tools needs to be installed in the VM in order to do that. With the VM window open and the VM running, click the Virtual Machine menu => Install VMWare Tools. The rest of the process should be pretty straightforward.

OP
N
Reaction score
ok tried that but when I click on 'install vmwate tools' nothing happens. If I try again then it only has the option of 'cancel vm tools installation'.

Sorry I know this is going off topic a bit.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ok tried that but when I click on 'install vmwate tools' nothing happens. If I try again then it only has the option of 'cancel vm tools installation'.

Sorry I know this is going off topic a bit.

Just let it go for a minute or two, the installation should start automatically. If it doesn't, reboot the VM and try it again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.