Battery life...case...heat...plastic vs. aluminum?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 120 GB hard drive
I've had my Macbook since 3/11 and it seems like the battery life fluctuates. Is this normal? Does my Macbook case trap the heat and my keyboard cover, which therefore decreases my battery life? Are the plastic Macbooks not as good as the new uni-body ones when it comes to heat flow and battery life?

Reaction score
Describe in details what you mean by "fluctuate" please.

My MacBook fluctuates in battery life also depending on what I'm doing.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Describe in details what you mean by "fluctuate" please.

My MacBook fluctuates in battery life also depending on what I'm doing.

Watching something online versus being on a website. I always see my battery time going up and down. Aren't Macbooks supposed to have a battery life of 4-5 from a full charge? It seems like it starts in the 3 range...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The fluctuation of reported battery time remaining is normal.

This is an estimated time and is derived from what you are currently doing and the processes which are running.

The more processor and graphics intensive the application(s) you are using, the faster the battery charge will be consumed.

You can't expect the same battery life while watching video or playing a game as you might achieve while working with a text document.

Having airport and/or bluetooth running will use the battery faster than having them turned off.

Etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
What bobtomay said + most of those battery life tests/reports are done with the most miserly settings to stretch the runtime. ie: reduced brightness, doing non-processor intensive operations, wifi and/or bluetooth off.

Here's a good faq you might want to check out:

What is the MacBook battery life in "real-world" tests? How does the battery life of different MacBook models compare to one another? @ EveryMac.com

in the first real paragraph of the article, it mentions that using wifi drops the average battery life considerably.

You're watching something online is using battery fast on two levels - processor work to display a video (data streamed in has to be assembled and displayed as a video) and your network connection (assumed to be wifi).

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fluctuation of reported battery time remaining is normal.

This is an estimated time and is derived from what you are currently doing and the processes which are running.

The more processor and graphics intensive the application(s) you are using, the faster the battery charge will be consumed.

You can't expect the same battery life while watching video or playing a game as you might achieve while working with a text document.

Having airport and/or bluetooth running will use the battery faster than having them turned off.

Etc.

Fair enough.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What bobtomay said + most of those battery life tests/reports are done with the most miserly settings to stretch the runtime. ie: reduced brightness, doing non-processor intensive operations, wifi and/or bluetooth off.

Here's a good faq you might want to check out:

What is the MacBook battery life in "real-world" tests? How does the battery life of different MacBook models compare to one another? @ EveryMac.com

in the first real paragraph of the article, it mentions that using wifi drops the average battery life considerably.

You're watching something online is using battery fast on two levels - processor work to display a video (data streamed in has to be assembled and displayed as a video) and your network connection (assumed to be wifi).

Thank you for the link.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure this has been written

Do any of you hate the battery life from a full charge? What has Apple done in the past up until now with this situation? Do you know if there are going to be positive changes with this in the near future?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're unhappy with the battery life of your MacBook, buy the latest 17" MacBook Pro unibody with the new non removable battery which Apple says lasts 8 hours..... Link

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Yea...because Apple notebooks have crap battery life compared to the majority of other brands. I suggest you sort out your charge and discharge cycle and stop posting hate threads which are completely pointless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Do any of you hate the battery life from a full charge? What has Apple done in the past up until now with this situation? Do you know if there are going to be positive changes with this in the near future?

I'm not sure what you're talking about. The two Apple notebooks I've owned have both had comparable or longer battery lives than the notebooks of pretty much everyone else with whom I work. Maybe you should try turning off features you know you won't use, like Bluetooth or even Airport if you don't need the Internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yea...because Apple notebooks have crap battery life compared to the majority of other brands. I suggest you sort out your charge and discharge cycle and stop posting hate threads which are completely pointless.
Donno, the battery life on my 08 mbp is pretty much identical to the battery life on my 08 T61p (WITH the extended life battery).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My early '08 MacBook Pro does about 4 hours on a full charge. That's pretty decent in my experience for a notebook of this class.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
People who feel Mac Notebooks have bad battery life compared to all the PC Notebooks out there should read Anandtechs test on Notebook battery life. Makes the PC Notebooks look pretty bad.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My MB has fantastic battery life. I cab get between 4 and 5 hours depending on what I am doing.

Are you experiencing problems?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're unhappy with the battery life of your MacBook, buy the latest 17" MacBook Pro unibody with the new non removable battery which Apple says lasts 8 hours..... Link

Regards.

Too late. Already bought the new white exactly a month ago. That's way too expensive for me!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Sort out my charge and discharge cycles? I'm not posting hate threads, although I can see this thread as pointless in your opinion.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what you're talking about. The two Apple notebooks I've owned have both had comparable or longer battery lives than the notebooks of pretty much everyone else with whom I work. Maybe you should try turning off features you know you won't use, like Bluetooth or even Airport if you don't need the Internet.

Really? My Bluetooth is always off. Turning off my Airport is a good idea when I'm not using the Internet. Thank you.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Donno, the battery life on my 08 mbp is pretty much identical to the battery life on my 08 T61p (WITH the extended life battery).

What's a 08 T61p?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My early '08 MacBook Pro does about 4 hours on a full charge. That's pretty decent in my experience for a notebook of this class.

Do you charge until the blue light shows? Or passed the blue light?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.