Hard Drive from Mac to PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook 2GHz 2GB RAM 250GB HD OS X 10.5.8 and iPod Classic 80GB
Hello,

I just swapped the original hard drive in my MacBook with a larger HD, and I want to use the original as an external HD for extra storage and to move files from my PC to my Mac. I just erased and formatted the hard drive as MS-DOS (FAT) and plugged it into my PC via USB, but the drive isn't showing up anywhere. Help, please?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Attach the drive to your PC and open Disk Manager. Disk Manager can usually see a drive even if it hasn't been formatted. Can you see the drive from Disk Manager? Post back.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It doesn't show up in Disk Manager. When I connect my drive, the light on the enclosure goes from blue to red to blue and back to red and stays like that, it also makes a continual beep beep noise.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you plug it into your Mac, is it recognized? If you right-click the external (assuming it's recognized) and choose "Get Info", does it state that the HD is formatted as FAT next to "Format:"?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it works fine on my Mac. Beside Format, it says "MS-DOS (FAT32)".

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you tried different USB ports on your PC? I know from experience that sometimes changing the USB port helps in getting things recognized.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, still doesn't get recognized. I guess the next step would be to try it on a different PC.

Any other ideas for now?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nope, still doesn't get recognized. I guess the next step would be to try it on a different PC.

Any other ideas for now?

If the drive is recognized and correctly identified by the Mac and not the PC and you state that when attached to the PC the enclosure lights eventually turn to red and beeps, that would indicate to me something else is wrong. Possibly with the USB ports or USB controller in your PC but more than likely it has to do with available power to the ports.

If other USB devices work OK on that PC, it may be that the enclosure is drawing too much current from the ports (exceeding the port capability) and it shuts down. (red light and beeping) BTW, even AC powered enclosures can draw too much current.

Let us know if it works when trying it on another PC.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's all working now. I tried it on my PC at work and it was recognized. So, my boss gave a me a USB hub he had lying around. My home PC is pretty old, and it's pretty much crap, so I guess it couldn't pick up the signal or whatever. Regardless, transferring information onto the drive seems to be as slow as doing it over the network because my PC has USB 1 slots. Oh well.

Thanks for the responses guys.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Transferrign through a USB hub will also make the transfer slow down. If I plug in my external to my USB hub, TM takes its sweet time backing up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.