Recommend a decent All-in-One printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Right now I have a Lexmark x2690 and it sucks down ink like nobody's business. I'm a college student and I really don't do that much printing from it, maybe 50 pages an entire month MAX, and its still driving me into the poor house.

I'm looking for an all-in-one, because every once in a while I'll scan and copy something.

I was looking on amazon and was interested in the HP f4280 but a couple reviewers blasted it with the problem of sucking down ink also.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a bottom tier all-in-one that uses the least amount of ink?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I may be biased because I just got this printer about a month ago and absolutely LOVE it, but I recommend the Canon MP620 all-in-one. I don't do a ton of printing, like yourself but we purchased it specifically for photo printing.

This is just one review (out of 120) from Amazon.com for this product regarding the ink usage:

Solid printer, March 21, 2009
By Kindergarten Teacher "IteachK" (Florida) - See all my reviews
I've had an HP all in one printer for quite a while, but after numerous paper jams and very slow printing I needed a new printer. As a teacher I make multiple copies of just about everything, so I needed a printer that was economical on ink. I've only had the Canon Pixma MP 620 for one night and I'm already hooked on Canon. The black ink levels haven't even budged after printing almost 100 pages! This Canon is also much quieter than the HP that some of my friends have.

And here is the link to the full customer review page on amazon - CANONMP620

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I can guarantee you will get different responses to this question that may leave you more confused than when you arrived.

For me, I have great experience with HP printers. I have a Canon now and probably will never buy one again. Ink usage is horrible - no wonder my printer was only $50.

My last HP inkjet printer was a workhorse and I ran it into the ground. Ink usage was pretty good as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Another vote for Canon. Great with Macs!

I agree with vansmith to some extent - these are generally opinions based on personal experience, but the independent reviews are usually what I go by.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can guarantee you will get different responses to this question that may leave you more confused than when you arrived.

EXCELLENT statement!

The same thing I think when anyone asks:

- whats the best printer?
- what brand hard drive is the best?
- what monitor is the best?
- what speakers are the best?
- etc.

If you get 20 responses, you get 20 opinions!

I think that a "better" question is"

"Are there any low usage ink-jet all-in-one printers out there...and if so, what brands & models #'s are they?"

Then the person asking the question can research those specific printers, and decide based on their needs.

Just trying to help,

- Nick

Reaction score
In the past I have pretty much used Epson printers but for the last year or so I have been using an HP F340 All-In-One and love it! Additionally the cartridges are the cheapest I have ever had to purchase.

Reaction score
I have a cannon mx 850 love it.. One thing I would avoid at all costs is the HP line I use to use them all the time for years but the last 3 all in ones I have form them have broke or they failed to upgrade there drivers for Mac OS upgrades one just stoped working on my network tech support was no help then the next one the ADF stopped working just after a year mind you it is only myself and my wife that use it and if it used 2 a month thats alot. and the 1st issue was a 2 years after buying it I could not use the scan or fax do to os upgrades. no happy with HP at all.
I just made the jump to cannon 4 months ago but love there all in one. (ink cart's is kinda small) Best bet Is look up on Amazon for peoples feed back on printers you are interested in and keep an eye out for mac users people you will find a few.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.