very slow video streaming

Reaction score
video playback/ streaming is very slow unless it is downloaded and played in quicktime.

here are my mac stats:

Machine Name: iMac G5
Machine Model: PowerMac8,1
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 600 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f4

i have a dsl/cable modem and playback is fine with my father's dell laptop, so the internet connection is not slow.

i've tried searching and the only thing that has come close was reducing the colour quality in quicktime, but the audio is still ahead of the choppy video playback.

any help would be great.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your machine is certainly capable of streaming video. Does it do that with all video content or just certain ones? You mentioned that your connection is OK. How fast is it? Since the videos play OK after downloading, it may have something to do with the connection or site(s) you're viewing from.

You might try maxing out the memory on your G5. According to Mactracker you can install 2 Gb in that machine. I'm not sure if that will help since the machine plays the videos OK after they're downloaded. However, more memory can't hurt.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I've really only noticed lag when watching WMV's and that issue was fixed when I updated Flip4Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.