Killing a stuck process?

Reaction score
Hello!

My process started when I tried to copy music files from the CD. It got stuck, and I cannot quit copying or eject the disc, or restart the computer...

I know this question has been sounded already and the answer was:

1. Option-Command-Esc, - I tried it, but only Safari and Finder were listed there

2. Activity Monitor, - There are lots of processes there...I have no idea what would be the name for this particular process that I started by copying those files... Does it make sense to start quitting each process until I find the one? - To me it sounds like a bad idea...but I don't know.

What else could I try???

If I power off simply by pushing the power button on my laptop, will it be hurtful in any way? But if it is a solution, what can I do to make it less damaging?

Please, help! :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Hi there,
In activity monitor, you should be able to stop it. Only stop the process if you are sure that is the correct one. A.Monitor really is the app for that.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if you are using iTunes to copy them, it will say something about iTunes, or you will see the iTunes logo. Read them all to see if any of them sound right. In the CPU column, the number will be quite high for burning disk processes.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
There is no any iTunes ...

Here are all processes I have listed in A Monitor:

dashboard
diskimages_helpe
dock
finder
folder actions dispatcher
helpdatad
launchd
loginwindow
mdworker
pboard
PubSubAgent
safari
speech synthesis server
spotlight
system UI server
user event agent

That's it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you burning the CD now? If not, A Monitor will not show the process. Are you burning the CD with iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My process started when I tried to copy music files from the CD. It got stuck, and I cannot quit copying or eject the disc, or restart the computer...

I know this question has been sounded already and the answer was:

1. Option-Command-Esc, - I tried it, but only Safari and Finder were listed there

How were you copying them?
Were you just dragging them from the mounted CD image to a folder?
If so, then that would explain why only Safari and Finder were listed in the "Force Quit" window.
If you were just dragging and dropping files from folder to folder like that, then Finder is the application that you need to "Force Quit"... or, in this case, "Relaunch".

OP
A
Reaction score
I guess I am doing a burning because I have a little "copy" status window that shows what is copied, Mbs, time left, where it goes...exactly where it got stuck...I had iTunes in Command-Option-Esc list in the very beginning and forced it to quit back then...Now I don't see iTunes anywhere...

OP
A
Reaction score
Viva!!! Quitting Finder helped! It immediately logged me off and let me eject the CD! Thanks a lot!!! Guys, you are the best for being out there and helping people like me out!

P.S. I was using iTunes to do the copying...didn't do any dragging :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well done on completing your task successfully!

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.