external hdd transfer large files or split files help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13", 10.5.6, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hey!

Actually i have 2 issues that relate.

1. The actual problem that i have is that i want to copy large files from my macbook to an external hdd.
The problem here is that with a external hdd (windows fat-32) it is not possible to move larger files than 5gb or something! If the hdd would be windows ntfs, mac wont read it and i cant move any files to my hdd. So this is crazy, because i dont want my hdd to be mac os extened since windows wont be able to read that!! AAAAH

So: is there a solution to have my external hdd to be accessible from both windows and mac and to be able to transfer large files!?

If not:

2. I would like to split the large files either dmg, iso or zip or whatever to smaller files so that i am able to transfer these to my external hdd. For example i have a 7gb dmg i want to transfer to my external hdd, so splitting it in 2 should do the job.
Furthermore, i heard this is possible with toast, if so how? And i dont want to span to discs, i then would like to span within my macbook on my macbook hdd.

Please help me, this windows/mac issue (why cant they get over it!) is crazy and will become a much bigger problem in the future since the files are getting bigger every day!

mif

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
FAT32 is limited to a 4GB single file size, as you've discovered. If you need to store files larger than 4GB and maintain Windows compatibility, you'll need to format it in NTFS.

Easy answer to this question - get Paragon NTFS for Mac. Not only will it allow you full read/write access to NTFS partitions, but it also comes with a component to allow you to read/write Mac partitions on Windows. Well worth the money IMO.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13", 10.5.6, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
(...)Not only will it allow you full read/write access to NTFS partitions(...)

Thnx for your reply cwa, i do have a question however. You see i would like to use my external hdd to plug it into different windows and mac computers. So lets say ill go to a friend (mac), plug it in, grab a file 10gb, go to another friend (windows) and drop it there.
I suppose this software is a writer/reader that i install on my mac, but this means that all mac computers i communicate to need to have this installed, right?
Or does the software tell my hdd (ntfs) that it is accessible by all macs?

If it doesnt, are there any alternatives anyone knows?

Reaction score
has there been any resolution to this issue? I backed up some Blue Ray discs in MKV format but cannot transfer them to a drive because it is FAT32. I'd like to split or compress the files. I tried compressing with stuffit but it simply creates a zip file of the same size. :p

Reaction score
Multiple Method Solution

Method 1

1)Buy Paragon/Buy Mac Drive

Easy Method

2)Format as NTFS/MacOS Journalised

Partition Your Hard Drive with a small partition 500MB (or carry a FAT32 usb stick) and send inside Paragon (to read NTFS in MAC) or MacDrive (to read GPT Disks on Windows)

Method 2

Buy Rar Machine

Zipping/Unzipping Method
with RaRMachine compress and rar into desired size

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.