External 500gb can't read/write

Reaction score
Hiya,

I am a new mac user but know a good amount about working with computers.
I am currently trying simply use an external drive with my imac but can't do it!

I have removed my Sata 500gb HDD and an IDE 200gb HDD from my old PC and have installed them both into a external case each to use with my 24" iMac. Both were recognized immediately by the imac and I used the disk utility to format the 500gb Sata to Mac OS Extended so that I can read & write to it from the mac. This worked successfully and has one partition.
The other 200GB IDE one is still NTFS.

I have data on the NTFS drive that I would like to move to the Mac OS Extended drive but when I move any files to it I get error:
"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data could not be read or written. (error code -36)"
This happens with everything I try to move accross.

I then tried to use it with Time Machine but when starting a backup I get error:
"Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to the backup volume"

I have over the passed few days tried formatting the drive to EVERYTHING that exists to see if it will work. But with no luck, I get the exact same errors whether it is any type of MAC OS or NTFS or FAT etc..
I have also tried installing "Paragon NTFS for Mac" as third party software but this has been no help either.
I then tried plugging it into my PC but my PC does not recognise it as an external drive at all.

This whole time the IDE 200GB NTFS is recognised in both computers and can be read/written to.

I have also opened the drives "get info" and ensured the permissions are "read and write"

Help is thoroughly appreciated as I am completely at my wits end. I have no more ideas!

Thanks, Shona

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So, on your Mac you're able to read the drive and the PC doesn't even recognize it while the other drive is working perfectly from either machine.

Error code 36 is an IO error.

My first suspicion would be either the cable or the enclosure. Try a different cable, if no go, try putting it into the enclosure that is functioning.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank for your reply bobtomay, yes that is correct.
I have also tried partitioning the difficult drive into three and formatting
1. as FAT
2. as NTFS
and 3. as Mac OS

And then tried writing to each of them but none of the partitions work.
It is a brand new case, never used before so it is quite likely that it is perhaps faulty hardware..

I have now tried using the USB cable that was attached to the working 200GB NTFS drive but still no luck... :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just curious, what brand is the external enclosure where you have your 500GB SATA drive? Where did you purchase it? It hooks up by USB 2.0?

One thing to remember, if you have the 500GB formatted in Mac OSX Extended your PC will not be able to read it. If you had it NTFS or FAT 32 and your PC (Windows system) still can't see it, there is for sure something wrong with the enclosures electronics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4: iPhone 3.0
i'm having a somewhat similar issue!

i have a 320gb external and i tried to copy some stuff from my MBP to the drive but it won't let me, but when i go to copy from the drive to the MBP it will let me :Grimmace:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i'm having a somewhat similar issue!

i have a 320gb external and i tried to copy some stuff from my MBP to the drive but it won't let me, but when i go to copy from the drive to the MBP it will let me :Grimmace:

What Format is the external drive in? If it's NTFS, that is normal as NTFS is a proprietary Windows format. If it's in FAT32 or Mac OS Extended then it should write also.

OP
S
Reaction score
UPDADE:

My Father asked to use the drive in his PC as an internal (format it as NTFS AGAIN) and it still had a writing error. Therefore there is definitely something wrong with the drive.
Doesn't work internal or external no matter what format.
oh well..
Thanks everyone. I have now bought a new external 500gb and formatted it for Mac OS Journaled and it is working perfectly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.