Hard drive noises

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
I just got a 2006 2.16 Ghz MBP and installed my own hard drive prior to using the factory one. It works fine, but I keep hearing noises from it: sounds like it's computing like morse code almost. Is this natural?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure exactly what you mean by the noises = "morse code almost"?? But hard drives that make strange noises are suspect. Make sure you have a verified backup of all your data. That drive may be getting ready to fail.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13in MBP
is it ticking noises and what type of HD is it?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
Another thing I just noticed after this hard drive replacement is the Question Mark Folder at the blue screen startup screen before the Apple logo pops up. It's only there for a second before it disappears and everything boots fine. What does it mean?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Another thing I just noticed after this hard drive replacement is the Question Mark Folder at the blue screen startup screen before the Apple logo pops up. It's only there for a second before it disappears and everything boots fine. What does it mean?

It means = start making regular backups. ;D

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB
This happened to me. I rang the store i bought it from and they replaced it for me.

The noise i was getting was a slight clicking/ticking noise. Very Annoying!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13in MBP
yea if its new i suggest backing it up and returning it for a replacment it seems like its dying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.