Clicking Sound?

P

plan9

Strange problem - my one week old iBook (900 mhz, 14") is emitting these strange, rythmic clicks.. I think it is coming from the speakers.. If I am actively doing something, I don't think it happens.. but if the iBook is just sitting there, it starts clicking.. softly, and i *think* it is a sound, not a physical click.. although i could be wrong.

Anybody had this behavior??

Thanks,
Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Do you have a cell phone near it? I know my speakers did that when I had my cell phone in close proximity.. otherwise Im not sure what that might be.. :(

OP
P

plan9

Murlyn said:
Do you have a cell phone near it? I know my speakers did that when I had my cell phone in close proximity.. otherwise Im not sure what that might be.. :(

Nope, no cell phone - but I am using a wireless DSL router.. As well as a cordless land line phone, which I think actually runs at the same frequency (2.4 Ghz)...

As long as it's just something like that, no problem.. I just want to make sure there isn't a problem with the iBook..

Thanks,
Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
plan9 said:
Strange problem - my one week old iBook (900 mhz, 14") is emitting these strange, rythmic clicks.. I think it is coming from the speakers.. If I am actively doing something, I don't think it happens.. but if the iBook is just sitting there, it starts clicking.. softly, and i *think* it is a sound, not a physical click.. although i could be wrong.

Anybody had this behavior??

Thanks,
Jason

My understanding is that most people who experience the noise you are describing (you aren't the only one), have attributed it to OS X 10.2.6, and/or iChatAV, and or iChatAV + Airport card. Some have gone back to 10.2.4 and had the problem go away. No one really seems to have an exact answer, especially, it seems, not Apple or Tech Support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.