Preparing my iMac for donation

Reaction score
I am donating my old iMac G3 to charity and I want to be sure all my sensitive data is deleted. What is the quickest and most thorough way to clear my hard drive?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
reformat it from the install cd, you can access disk utility from the menu bar when the install screen comes up and have various options when reformatting for secure reformats

then do a clean install

Reaction score
Yes you should try to leave the hard drive in it, as I go and deal with lots of folks at thrift stores and if they can't fire it up it goes in the dumpster. Last week I got an Epson rx680 out of the dumpster,all it needs is ink.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
Wow. All it needs is ink? Cool.

Reaction score
Wow. All it needs is ink? Cool.

I have already got my ink and installed it and the printer works great,its missing the CD print tray,have to hunt one up. Hey theres some awesome architecture in Sofia,welcome to the U.S. You will discover we throw lots of good stuff away here,right in the dumpster it goes.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Personally it depends on how sensitive your data is. Whenever I donate a computer I take out my hard drive and replace it with a cheap replacement from newegg.com or tigerdirect.com. Nor would I ever sell a computer with my hard drive in it.

With the low price of hard drives now, its worth it to protect your sensitive information and just replace it with a new one and destroy the disks on the old one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.