Mysterious wire in Power Mac G5

Reaction score
I just bought a used G5 and was installing a blue tooth module and noticed a loose wire inside in the area where the bluetooth module mounts. It has a small black plastic end on it. Some one told me it was a heat sensor and not to worry about it. Can anyone tell me where this wire is suppose to go or does it just stick up in free space? I'll post a pick. Notice it just below the wires and bluetooth module. Thanks for any help. Robert mac inside.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day Robert and welcome to the forums.

Bit difficult to make out from the photo. Your machine has built in antennas for Bluetooth and Airport Extreme cards. Maybe it is one of them, probably Airport Extreme if you have connected Bluetooth up and it is running.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Harry, The airport extreme wire is still in the clip that holds both it and the bluetooth wire before the bluetooth was installed. I know the pic is not that good I'll try to take a better one. Thanks for the reply, Robert

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was going to guess the same as Harry that it was the Airport Express antenna. See if you can get a better pic and maybe edit it and put in an arrow where this wire is.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are the basic Specs of the machine? I have all the service manuals to the Power Mac G5's but they all are a bit different. CPU Speed and Number of CPU's is what I am after.

If it's an older Power Mac G5 I believe that is the cable to the Modem Board that was optional. Even the two brass standoff's are in the exact place as in the one manual.

Modem Filter Cable. The Modem mounts on those two threaded standoff's. Same black end with same 3 wires same colors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Looks like an internal modem card fitting.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like an internal modem card fitting.

That is correct. I searched through the Apple Repair Manual and what goes there is a Modem and that cable is called the Modem Filter Cable and the other end goes to the modem filter board and jack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.