Building a website

Reaction score
Just curious what are some good Mac programs to build a website? I'm totally newbie to this, but I'm going to be graduating soon and I want to build a site for my practice, or at least practice in the meantime.

I have the new MacBook, any freebie programs I could use on it?

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There is Coda and Espresso. Both not free but supposedly good (I'm not a web developer so I can't vouch for their quality).

For free, you could look at Smultron. While not necessarily designed particularly for web development, it might get the job done for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 4GB DDR3, 10.5.7
Just curious what are some good Mac programs to build a website? I'm totally newbie to this, but I'm going to be graduating soon and I want to build a site for my practice, or at least practice in the meantime.

I have the new MacBook, any freebie programs I could use on it?

Thanks

It really depends on what kind of sites you'll be developing. If it's going to be simple (x)HTML/CSS sites then the standard TextEdit or TextWrangler will do. If you'll be making more complex sites then I'd look into these: Coda, BBedit, and Espresso.

Reaction score
I would start with a simple HTML syntax editor like Taco HTML. Learn the code, then move to something more advanced. No WYSIWYG editor will be able to do everything for you- you're still going to have to know (at least roughly) what's going on with any web page you make.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Being devils advocate, while I can see the logic of using a text editor to code web content, it always seems rather masochistic to me.

I don't doubt it creates discipline and makes you more aware of what you're doing, but on the other hand I can't imagine how many novices have decided to take that route and given up because it's so difficult.

Using a WYSIWYG editor is probably easier for beginners. Personally I have found the cheapo/free ones to be rather hit and miss, but I still think they're more user friendly than notepad.

I use Dreamweaver, which a lot of folks seem to sneer at, but I use it to develop the website for a top 50 global brand without any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
I use Yola - Yola | Build a Free Website

It works, however, it's an online website maker. And guess what - Its ABSOLUTELY FREE! No problems there at all. I've built about 5 proffessional websites with Yola, and trust me they are brilliant. Free to design a website, and free to host a website. I know you're looking for a mac program (iWeb, maybe,) but Yola is one of the best website designing sites, with unlimited access to over 6 million different website widgets.

Go with Yola!

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.