do ibooks/powerbook hibernate?

M

monkeybutler

I hibernate my pc notebook all the time. but i read in an ibook review that the ibook doesnt hibernate? is that true? i always read how many mac users havent reboot in months, but without hibernating then how do you put your notebook away for extended periods (flights, long drives) without shutting it down completely?

Reaction score
Mac's go to sleep which is the same thing. Mac's also wake up alot faster after sleeping than a windows pc does after hibernating.

OP
M

meltbanana314

rmhop81 said:
Mac's go to sleep which is the same thing. Mac's also wake up alot faster after sleeping than a windows pc does after hibernating.

People are always amazed when open the lid of my PowerBook and wake it from sleep (mostly because they think that it's actually off, but it's fun to play with their heads a little.)

"How did you that?"

"Do what?"

"Get your computer to turn on so fast?"

"Oh, my PowerBook always turns on that fast."

"Why can't my laptop do that?"

"Cause it's not a Mac." :)

OP
C

Cloudane

Sleep has almost the same effect as Hibernate, as it lasts *ages* with a decent charge. Whilst I can see how it'd come in useful (say if you want to keep it off for a few weeks and can't just keep it plugged in) in all other cases it does the job great. Better than PC laptops where you're lucky if they wake up again even if they haven't eaten all the battery power :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
rmhop81 said:

I don't think it's quite the same but has a similar effect. With sleep everything shuts down except for the absolute minimum to keep the system intact (processor, RAM, etc remain powered up)-- with hibernation a snapshot of the current state of things are saved to the hard drive and everything shuts down. Sleep takes power, hibernation doesn't. My windows (HP) laptop will go into a Sleep state if I close the lid, but if I hit the power button it'll hibernate. Also, I can choose either from the shutdown menu and can customize the whole thing to whichever way I want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Cloudane said:
Better than PC laptops where you're lucky if they wake up again even if they haven't eaten all the battery power :)

That was pretty much the case with Windows 9X, but in my experience windows XP doesn't have those problems.

OP
M

monkeybutler

Cloudane said:
Sleep has almost the same effect as Hibernate, as it lasts *ages* with a decent charge. Whilst I can see how it'd come in useful (say if you want to keep it off for a few weeks and can't just keep it plugged in) in all other cases it does the job great.

when hibernate gets everything from ram onto the hdd file then it shuts down the system completely so nothing is on. so transporting it is safe. if its in mac sleep mode then is it safe to toss the thing in your backpack or carry it around? like, are the heads on the hard drive locked down? and does it generate any heat?

OP
U

urbandryad

monkeybutler said:
when hibernate gets everything from ram onto the hdd file then it shuts down the system completely so nothing is on. so transporting it is safe. if its in mac sleep mode then is it safe to toss the thing in your backpack or carry it around? like, are the heads on the hard drive locked down? and does it generate any heat?

The powerbook does. http://www.apple.com/ca/powerbook/

On an idle note, Macs have been able to 'sleep' for a long time. My old blueberry iBook (OLD) can sleep. (the light on it does a sort of 'breathing' thing which is really funny)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
urbandryad said:
The powerbook does. http://www.apple.com/ca/powerbook/

On an idle note, Macs have been able to 'sleep' for a long time. My old blueberry iBook (OLD) can sleep. (the light on it does a sort of 'breathing' thing which is really funny)

-

Apple Website said:
Takes the Fall

Now every PowerBook G4 is equipped with Apple’s Sudden Motion Sensor to help protect your most valuable asset: your data. The Sudden Motion Sensor senses change in axis position and accelerated movement. In the event of a drop or fall, the Sudden Motion Sensor instantly parks the hard drive heads so they won’t scratch the disks on impact, lessening the risk of damage and improving your chances of retrieving valuable data. When the Sudden Motion Sensor senses your PowerBook is once again level, it unlocks the hard drive heads automatically.

Now that's cool. My iMac G3 does the same thing with the "breathing" power light when it goes to sleep. ;)

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

i was told by the apple tech. that when the ibook went to sleep the hdd mounts and it is safe to tote around.

OP
F

flonejek

The only thing left on when a mac laptop is asleep is a trickle to the ram and bios, as thats all that is neede to preserve what you were doing (instead of saving the ram to disk like hibernate it just maintains it with a trickle current) so both states are just as safe for rough handling but having the ram active results in far faster resume times, hibernate was really designed for pc users who dont wanna close anything but wanna turn their pc off as the boot process on a laptop uses more power than is saved when the laptops hibernating compared to sleeping...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.