Restore from External Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
I have backed up my system to an external hard drive and can sucessfully boot from it.

My question is, would it be possible to completely erase and then restore my whole system from the system on the external hard drive?
And by erase I mean completely get rid of all partitions and data and have a clean hard drive.
And by restore I mean be able to boot into Mac OSX again without the hard drive.

And is it possible to do this without the Install Discs because I actually don't have them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure what you're trying to accomplish but if you use either "SuperDuper" or "Carbon Copy Cloner" you can clone an internal hard drive to an external. The external will be bootable and can restore to the original drive.

So yes, it's possible to erase your internal hard drive and restore from the external using the proper software.

SuperDuper

Carbon Copy Cloner

Regards.

OP
Destructive
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Video| 15" MacBook Pro | iPod Shuffle
Thank you!

Another question, where exactly do I go to choose to restore from the external hard drive? Does SuperDuper/Carbon Copy Cloner allow me to do this?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes SuperDuper does. You get the option of selecting which drive to copy from and to copy to.

If you go that way suggest spending the $29 and registering. Registered versions use Smart Backup and operate about 15 quicker than unregistered. A full back up to external, including Leopard OS, takes around eleven minutes with Smart Backup and 2 1/2 hours first copying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.