Canon Pixma MP620 WiFi problem

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have a problem regarding the Canon Pixma MP620 and WiFi. I installed it without any problems and it is displayed as a network printer. The connection between my MBP and the printer seems to be ok since I can check the ink level and initiate a test page.

But I can't print anything from any applications like Pages or Thunderbird. It is displayed that the printer is offline, but I can still check the ink level, so the connection is ok.

Does anybody has an idea?

Thank you very much,
Sisi

Reaction score
Wireless printing problem - Similar Problem

I think I have a similar problem to you. I have just bought a Canon MP620, thinking I could place the printer permanently in one room and then print from all over the house.

The network sees the printer, the signal is good but I keep getting the same error 306 when I try to print across the LAN. All works fine when I print via the USB cable.

After re-installing again and again. I called Canon who after an 1 hour of making me re-install twice decided it is a Mac problem and that the ports should open automatically? Since the printer can scan a document but not print.

I have no idea what to do next - I have searched the internet but just can't figure out how to fix this.

I can't believe it is a Mac problem, but the 'I am a Network Engineer and I know what I'm doing' (yes he really did say that) chap on the phone was rude and insistent.

Does this sound similar to your problem and have you had any joy resolving it?
:\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Did you guys install the printer while connected via USB? I had all sorts of issues with mine until I did this. Now it works great. It might sound like a dumb question, but I had to ask.

Reaction score
I installed the software without the cable in, then kept the usb cable in until it told me to take it out, move the printer to where I wanted it and then it started the search for printers on the network.

I really want this printer to work.

Did you do something different?

Reaction score
I installed the software without the cable in, then kept the usb cable in until it told me to take it out, move the printer to where I wanted it and then it started the search for printers on the network.

I really want this printer to work.

Did you do something different at the beginning?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can't believe it is a Mac problem...

Believe it. Networked printers are a weakness of Mac OS X, period. Apple has done a shoddy job of addressing the concept of port redirection, and as such, has left that up to the vendors to write into their drivers. On Windows, it is dead simple to take a printer and redirect the port - on OS X, if the driver isn't built for it, it simply won't happen unless you can find an alternate driver.

My suggestion would be to try to establish a connection via LDP (assuming you know the IP address of the printer) and if the MP620 driver doesn't appear in the list, try a similar model (Gutenprint supports the MP610 and MP700 at the moment).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Can you try blowing away the wireless config in the printer and reinstall using no wireless security as a test? Do you have a Windows machine you could use to verify it is working? I am using Mac's and Windows machines with it. After spending 8+ hours with a neighbor trying to get his HP printer to work wireless - I would not say that it is dead simple for Windows. Wireless printing and scanning is just flaky in general. What is the exact Mac OS you are using? What kind of wireless router? What kind of security?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can you try blowing away the wireless config in the printer and reinstall using no wireless security as a test? Do you have a Windows machine you could use to verify it is working? I am using Mac's and Windows machines with it. After spending 8+ hours with a neighbor trying to get his HP printer to work wireless - I would not say that it is dead simple for Windows. Wireless printing and scanning is just flaky in general. What is the exact Mac OS you are using? What kind of wireless router? What kind of security?

It is to make a simple connection to a networked printer. Of course some models have their own quirks, but in general, in Windows it's as simple as changing the port in the printer's property page. That's not the case with OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
OK. Let me put it this way. It is not simple to get an HP printer to actually work via wireless. I have had issues with HP's drivers as long as I can remember (on any platform).

Reaction score
solution !!!!

I had the same problem, at first I thought it were the drivers which didn't work or something like that.
Than I discovered the firewall blocked my printer out as it doesn't allow any connection with other machines.
So, go to system preferences > security (something like that, I have a Dutch mac so I'm not sure...) > firewall turn the firewall off. Than go the main preference menu again an go to print and fax, click on the + icon than click in the far left bottom (should say more printers or something like that) and you should find your cannon printer on it.
Mind also not only to install the driver, but also the network utility of your printer.
This is what I've installed:
Printer driver
network utility

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.