Macbook Pro: Models Comparison

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to the forum.

Im wanting to upgrade from my current desktop pc to a macbook pro for reasons of portability and reliability. Ive been looking at several models, and some of the specifications I understand, and some of them I do not. I'm going to be using my mac for music performance and production, so cpu and memory usage built for performance are essential to me. However, like I said before, some of the specifications still are not clear to me. Here are the two macbook pro computers that I have been looking at purchasing:

(1.) 15" Macbook Pro Unibody
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz
4 GB 1067Mhz DDR3 RAM
250 GB hard drive @ 7,200rpm

or

(2.)17" Macbook Pro 2008 Model
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
4GB Memory
320 GB hard drive, @ 5400 rpm

I've been trying to do some research and understand computer performance when it comes to hard drive capacity and "RPMs," but I still am unaware of what it means exactly. I'm ok with a 250gb hard drive, but which one of these models is going to perform the best with music performance under strenuous cpu and memory usage?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both models are well suited for what you intend to use them for. The 15" model has a faster hard drive (7200 RPM) versus the somewhat slower but larger 5400 RPM drive on the 17" model.

The 15" MBP is also constructed as a unibody versus the 17" which is not. The CPU speed 2.8 GHZ versus 2.5 GHZ is really not a factor, IMO.

You would be happy with either model, I'm sure. Of course the 15" MBP is a newer design but does that really matter? If you need the larger screen, go for the 17".

Something else you might take into consideration: The newer MBP has a glossy screen. I believe you can optionally order it with a matte screen if you so desire. Many folks do not like the new glossy screen used by Apple, however, I personally like it and actually prefer it over the matte version.

You might want to go to Apple, Mac, iPod and iPhone News, Reviews, Help and Tips | Macworld and read their review on the new MacBook Pro.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.