SD Cards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Gb Ram 250 Gb HD OSX 10.5.5
Kay so,

I bought a Micro SD card for my phone. I finially got it to show up on my computer only to find out its formatted to a DOS computer. (I clicked on it on the side bar and "got info"). How do i fix this? I tried to put music on the card but it says I cant. Any help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know why you can't put music on the SD card if it's formatted to DOS since OS X can read and write to FAT\FAT-32 (DOS). I know my phone (Sony Ericsson TM506) has a series of menus to navigate before I can download files to the Micro SD card.

Make sure you're correctly saving the files to the phone. Every SD and M2 card I've ever seen has been formatted to FAT (DOS).

Regards.

OP
shortyrulesall
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Gb Ram 250 Gb HD OSX 10.5.5
Thanks, but I've navigated through all the menu's on my phone and it still doesn't work. Maybe the cards broken? I don't know and its very frustrating!:p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks, but I've navigated through all the menu's on my phone and it still doesn't work. Maybe the cards broken? I don't know and its very frustrating!:p

Could very well be. I've run into a bad card before. But I know for sure that your Mac can read and write to the card if it's OK. It does not have to be reformatted.

Regards.

Reaction score
most microsd cards HAVE to be formatted in FAT or they wont work in anything. you might just wanna reformat using disk utility

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
most microsd cards HAVE to be formatted in FAT or they wont work in anything. you might just wanna reformat using disk utility

I've never run into one that wasn't already pre-formatted to FAT and I've bought and used both Micro SD and Micro M2 cards. I have run into a bad one that couldn't be read or formatted to anything though. A bad card won't even be "seen" by Disk Utility.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.