Non Mac user needs help with Airport card, wont connect to open network.

Reaction score
My cousin is here and she would like to check her email with her Macbook. It seems to have something called an Airport card?

Anyway it will detect my wireless network but it will not connect. It kept asking for my WEP Password, putting this in did nothing.

I reset my modem/wireless DSL modem so it was no longer secure and it still wants my WEP Password.

Basically if I put it in or don't put it in, I get the same error which says something like unable to connect to Airport network because the WEP Password didnt match etc.

I know the networks open, I can connect using my Dell with no password.

Can anyone help us?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My cousin is here and she would like to check her email with her Macbook. It seems to have something called an Airport card?

AirPort is Apple-speak for a WiFi card.

Anyway it will detect my wireless network but it will not connect. It kept asking for my WEP Password, putting this in did nothing.

I reset my modem/wireless DSL modem so it was no longer secure and it still wants my WEP Password.

Any reason you'd use WEP as opposed to WPA (a newer, easier to use and far more secure standard)?

Basically if I put it in or don't put it in, I get the same error which says something like unable to connect to Airport network because the WEP Password didnt match etc.

I know the networks open, I can connect using my Dell with no password.

Can anyone help us?

I would recommend switching the security over to WPA from WEP. You'll be doing yourself a favor, and the Mac should connect right up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.