G5 iMac hd install questions

Reaction score
Hello every one!

This is my first ever posting, so be kind. My iMac g5 recently went ka puts, so I started off by replacing my hard drive. The only thing is, is that my DVD drive doesn't work. I tried to use an external drive and it doesn't recognize the drive. I don't have 150 to replace the DVD drive from apple. When I hold down the option key only an refresh arrow pops up and a next arrow. Nothing happens when I hit the next arrow. Hitting the c key does nothing. Any one have any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
An iMac G5 is a power PC (PPC) and requires the external optical drive to be firewire to be bootable. Did the internal drive fail after you installed the HDD? if so it is worth cracking open and checking the power leads and nice and tight as they can become loose.

OP
D
Reaction score
No the drive had been bad for a while never replaced it cause all everyone uses is USB or email. Man, I didn't know they even made external drives fire wire o.o

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
well...if i were you i would get an external drive off ebay or another comparable source (it would be much less than 150), then attempt to replace it myself, so i could install the OS.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys. Turns out the logic board is gone on this. I found out after looking at the board when I opened it. I looked into it and it turns out at one point apple would have replaced it for free, today that is not the case. I guess I'll have to look around or buy a new computer. Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.