Windows PC won't talk to Mac

Reaction score
I've a MacBook Pro. I'm having problems with accessing the MacBooks drop folder from a Compaq running XP home.

The message I get is the usual Access denied insufficient permissions.

Ive tried loging on using ssh but no difference, I've even ensured the drop folder has sharing enabled.

Shared printers on the Mac seem to work OK from the Compaq.

I've even tried making a new account on the Compaq to ensure I haven't done anything odd on the orriginal Admin account.

Now I've also a Dell running XP pro and guess what it logs on no problem. Maybe it's due to the fact I've disabled simple file sharing on the Dell machine. Something I can't do on the Compaq as the disable simple file sharing option is only on XP pro.

Anyone got any other suggestions??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well - you can add the same username/pw combination on the mac that is on the compaq, and then make sure the permissions on the file sharing allow that user full control.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well I be, it works. Tried loging onto the MBP with the Mac log in and password and it kicks me out. Simply change my login in the compaq and I can connect.

Thanks for the help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.