Deleting Songs from iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
When I delete a song from iTunes, After choosing move to trash from the message that comes up the song is still in the itunes folder. How do I make it so it completely deletes it from my computer not just my the library.

Reaction score
I noticed this too. My iTunes library only shows I have 16GB in songs, but the actual iTunes folder shows 27GB. I believe the songs I deleted are still there.

I did a "secure empty" the trash but did not help. Someone please chime in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Did you delete it directly from the iTunes library, or a playlist?

Reaction score
u must go to itunes library.....and delete the songs from there...
u can find it on Mac Hd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15"
If you delete a song from a playlist, it doesn't remove the file from your library. If you delete a song from your library, you should get a couple warnings with options to keep the files or move them to the trash. If you want to get rid of the file, choose the option to discard the file.

Alternatively, you can delete them from you iTunes Music folder, which is found in your home folder under Music/iTunes. Anything you delete from that folder will be completely deleted from your iTunes and your computer all together, so be careful.

-Nik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 Gb Ram 250 Gb HD OSX 10.5.5
Just follow the promps that iTunes gives you. Instead of selecting "keep file" click "move to trash".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you don't want the song in iTunes, but you think you'll want it for some other reason, choose "Keep File" when you delete it, and the song will be removed from your library while the original file is kept in your iTunes music folder. If you want to want to get rid of the song all together, delete it from iTunes and choose "Move to Trash".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It's often easier to delete files from playlists, so you may find this tip useful:

Hold down the option key and then hit the backspace key to remove it from your library AND to get the 'delete from harddrive' option. This'll work from any playlist or smart playlist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.