Transfer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR2 Memory, 120 GB hard drive
How do I transfer all of my iTunes songs from my desktop PC to my Macbook without paying money at the Genius Bar at the Apple store?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are many ways. Via Network file transfer, Optical Media, Flash Drive, External Hard Drive. If you use an external drive or flash drive, just copy the itunes folder if it will fit to the external drive and drop them into iTunes on your Macbook and have it set to make a copy to the iTunes folder.

If some of your music is the older Apple ITMS store songs with DRM, you can activate up to 5 computers to play the songs. Be sure to do that with the Macbook. The new DRM free songs and any you ripped off your own CD's won't have that issue.

If you need more of an explanation and where the music is, let us know.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are many ways. Via Network file transfer, Optical Media, Flash Drive, External Hard Drive. If you use an external drive or flash drive, just copy the itunes folder if it will fit to the external drive and drop them into iTunes on your Macbook and have it set to make a copy to the iTunes folder.

If some of your music is the older Apple ITMS store songs with DRM, you can activate up to 5 computers to play the songs. Be sure to do that with the Macbook. The new DRM free songs and any you ripped off your own CD's won't have that issue.

If you need more of an explanation and where the music is, let us know.

What do you suggest is the best and fastest way of doing it? And especially the safest for both computers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
What do you suggest is the best and fastest way of doing it? And especially the safest for both computers?

Any of the options outlined above would be safe and fast. The option that's best suited for you would depend on your situation. For instance, how many music files do you have? How much hard drive space does your music collection consume? Do you have a home network set up and if so, have you set up both computers to transfer files with each other?

Likewise, do you have an external hard drive or flash drive you can use? Would you be able to burn your collection onto CD- or DVD-ROMs without using an outrageous number of discs?

A little more information about your situation might help us point you in the correct direction better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
There is a simple method in iTunes to transfer your music using only a couple dvd-r's.

In iTunes, File -> Library -> Back Up To Disk.

Once you create this, you'll simply be able to open iTunes, insert your back up disk(s) and import your library.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
There is a simple method in iTunes to transfer your music using only a couple dvd-r's.

Once you create this, you'll simply be able to open iTunes, insert your back up disk(s) and import your library.

Probably the simplest and best way.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any of the options outlined above would be safe and fast. The option that's best suited for you would depend on your situation. For instance, how many music files do you have? How much hard drive space does your music collection consume? Do you have a home network set up and if so, have you set up both computers to transfer files with each other?

Likewise, do you have an external hard drive or flash drive you can use? Would you be able to burn your collection onto CD- or DVD-ROMs without using an outrageous number of discs?

A little more information about your situation might help us point you in the correct direction better.

In terms of music files, I have over 3,000 songs. Hard drive space...over 15? Home network setup = no. What is that and how would i do that?

I do have a flash drive which holds up to 1 gb.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

How high can dvd-r's go in terms of gb? Since I have over 3,000 songs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How high can dvd-r's go in terms of gb? Since I have over 3,000 songs.

When I did mine I only had about 1,000 songs, but I did have somewhere close to 50 episodes of television shows which take up a lot more space.

Mine only took 2 or 3 disks to transfer over the whole lot using basic 4.7 GB dvd-r's.

I hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
There's nothing more simple then dragging your collection to a external drive then dragging them to your mac.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I did mine I only had about 1,000 songs, but I did have somewhere close to 50 episodes of television shows which take up a lot more space.

Mine only took 2 or 3 disks to transfer over the whole lot using basic 4.7 GB dvd-r's.

I hope that helps.

Will a dvd-r be able to be used by my CD-Rom drive on my desktop PC. Or do I need another drive for the dvd-r to transfer my songs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will a dvd-r be able to be used by my CD-Rom drive on my desktop PC. Or do I need another drive for the dvd-r to transfer my songs?

You can't use a dvd in a cd-rom drive. You need a DVD+/-RW drive to burn the dvd's. Then you need one that at least reads dvd's to import.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can't use a dvd in a cd-rom drive. You need a DVD+/-RW drive to burn the dvd's. Then you need one that at least reads dvd's to import.

Shoot. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually just noticed that you can use cd's in the iTunes 'Back Up to Disk.' I'd imagine that it is a similar process. You should check it out.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually just noticed that you can use cd's in the iTunes 'Back Up to Disk.' I'd imagine that it is a similar process. You should check it out.

Wouldn't that use up a lot of cds? Since a dvd-r wouldn't be compatible with my CD-Rom drive, what would you suggest is the next best thing to transfer over my songs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
External drive.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wouldn't that use up a lot of cds? Since a dvd-r wouldn't be compatible with my CD-Rom drive, what would you suggest is the next best thing to transfer over my songs?

Yes, it definitely would take more, but a spindle of cd's is much cheaper than an external hard drive. Although, if you plan on taking that route eventually, than that would be a good thing to start looking at.

I've had my MacBook for a year and a half, and I'm just now thinking about an external hard drive. I still have about 100 GB of space left, but am thinking about getting one for videos because they take up a lot of space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What do you suggest? I do have a flash drive ( 1 gb ) which is nothing.

The 1GB is not enough as you probably already know. :) I would purchase an external drive which isn't exactly cheap but will be good investment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.