Watching movies on external hard drive with Front Row

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
Is this possible? I have tons of movies on an external hard drive but do not want to put them on my new iMacs hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
Yes it is possible. The movie files might need to be in iTunes, not sure. But almost all of my media is on the external, and I can watch it.

Reaction score
Davidk02: How do you go about doing this if you dont mind me asking of course.

The only way i seem to manage having anything POP up at all in Front Row is if its in the designated "Movies" folder when you open your HD, on the left side under "Places".

For some reason, nothing else shows up in Front Row and within Front Row, i cant configure it to look elsewhere?

Thanks so much for all the help in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
The solution that scott-c sent is alot easier than the one I was going to give. It seems like the best way to go. Also, you'll notice in the article it says you need a Xvid Quicktime Component. Just get Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime® components and you should be good to go.

Reaction score
or you could just right click on the External harddrive and 'make alias' and put that alias file into your movies folder. works that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.