• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What's the deal with paying to access internet on the Wii?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
So I finally got myself a Wii last week. I was a little excited about having internet access since I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying a Mini for an HTPC. I set up my connection and hit the "Wii + Internet" channel, but instead of getting the internet I get a video on the benefits of surfing the net on my Wii. There wasn't even an explanation about how to get on the internet.

After a little searching online I found out that I need to buy and use 500 Wii points (about $5)to download an Opera browser and be able to surf the web. I thought that since I pay for my internet access and Opera is free that I shouldn't have to pay! Seems like kind of a ripoff to me.

Anyone agree or have any issues with the Wii I should prepare myself for?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, you can use the Internet to download system updates and interact in multiple player games without any fee. I think what you're referring to is accessing the WWW through a TV interface, for that they charge you for the Opera browser.

Opera only recently went free, prior to that there was an ad-supported version and a full, pay-for version. Since Opera couldn't compete on the desktop, they decided to go completely free. I guess the way they're making money these days is to develop for non-desktop platforms and making that a pay-for version.

Other than that, I can't think of any other hang-ups I've noticed with the Wii. Make sure you download your firmware updates right off the bat. Also, check out Monoprice.com for a component cable (instead of the crappy composite/stereo cable it comes with) if you have an HDTV. This way you can use the Wii in EDTV mode, with full widescreen capability.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Thanks for the info and tips. I guess I'll pay for the browser, though I don't know how much I'll use it. If I can use my points to pay for things right on the Wii I wish I could also purchase points through it too. Right now the only way I see of doing immediately is by heading down to a Best Buy or something and buying a card. I haven't really looked into it yet, so I have no idea how it works. Maybe I can buy points right on the Wii!

As far as the cables, I do have widescreen working already, but I plan to eventually get a component connection.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yep, you can buy points on the Wii itself - that's the only way I've ever done it. I have not used the browser at all, so I can't comment on whether it's worth it.

I did purchase $50 worth of Wii points when I first bought the machine - and with that, I downloaded a number of "Virtual Console" games through the Wii Store. I also picked up a "Classic Controller" to play them, and that has proven to be worthwhile (sort of like reliving my childhood ;) ). I have yet to try any of the "WiiWare" games, although I intend to if something out there strikes my fancy.

Also, two games that I would HIGHLY recommend right off the bat - MarioKart Wii and Super Mario Galaxy are some of the best console games I've ever played, bar none.

My comment on the component cable was related to a problem I had with the Wii. Although I set the Wii to Widescreen, my TV still detected it as standard analog TV, so it was distorted (circles were oval). After I switched to the component cable, my TV saw it as EDTV and allowed it to work correctly in 480p and widescreen - maybe that was an issue specific to the logic in my TV, not sure. But for $12 off of monoprice.com, the cable was well worth it - fairly dramatic difference in picture quality overall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
It does seem like a rip off. Opera is a very nice browser though, although I cannot comment on the console version.

Enjoy your new piece of kit

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.