logic board or top case?

Reaction score
OK so I spilled water on my desk a few weeks ago and water got on the base of my macbook. I let it dry and then started it back up and everything works except the keyboard and the trackpad. The power button still works though. Also the caps lock and number lock lights are permanently on. I can use the computer with a usb keyboard and mouse but I want my keyboard back. My question is do I need a new logic board or just a topcase? The fact that the water was on the bottom of the laptop and that the power button still works makes me think its the logic board but i dont know. Oh and the system profiler is not seeing the keyboard or trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Since you can still use a USB mouse and keyboard that would be a positive sign that it might not be the logic board. However it's impossible to know for sure. There could be damage around where the top case connects to the board. Since a top case is far cheaper than a new logic board, that would be the best place to start. Replace it and see if it works. If not you have bigger problems unfortunately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.