How to best protect my Macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
Yo guys, I have a Macbook Aluminum and I have been looking into cases for some time now. I have had my Macbook for about 3 months with no sign of wear and tear. At first I just wanted a sleeve to slide my Macbook in so I could carry it in my backpack or for just moving it around in general. but...
I stumbled upon a thread the other day of dropped Macbook's and I am not going to lie... Its made me scared!

I then looked into the hardcover cases for the Macbooks. Specifically the Speck See thru clear case. I read some good reviews on it, but am worried that my Macbook might get scratched in the case and might overheat.

So my question is, are hard cover cases good in general? Do they make your Macbook run hotter? Do they add a lot of thickness? Should I just buy a sleeve and make sure my Macbook is in it everytime I move it?

Also quick note: The sleeve is 20 dollars cheaper and is a lot better quality. The other case is just two pieces of plastic for 50 dollars.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Dylan.

Links:

Booq Macbook Sleeve

Speck See Thru Hard Case

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm currently using an "In Case" hard shell black cover for my MacBook. (older generation model - Mar 2008) I have not noticed any temperature build up over what is considered normal, however, I'll admit I'm not a gamer nor do I do any graphic intensive work.

In addition to the In Case hard shell, when at home I have the machine sitting on a Griffin Elevator which lifts it off the desk about 6 inches from the rear. That offers protection against spills and allows air to flow under the machine.

Since you own an aluminum model, I recommend something that offers good protection for the aluminum body. The aluminum unibody MacBook is susceptible to dents and scratches more so than the hi impact plastic that was previously used.

Based on what I stated above, I recommend you go with the more expensive Speck see thru hard case for maximum protection. I realize it's two pieces of hard plastic for $49.95, but that's a lot less then replacing the case of your new MacBook. :(

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz MacBook Aluminum/ 16GB IPod Touch :D
I'm currently using an "In Case" hard shell black cover for my MacBook. (older generation model - Mar 2008) I have not noticed any temperature build up over what is considered normal, however, I'll admit I'm not a gamer nor do I do any graphic intensive work.

In addition to the In Case hard shell, when at home I have the machine sitting on a Griffin Elevator which lifts it off the desk about 6 inches from the rear. That offers protection against spills and allows air to flow under the machine.

Since you own an aluminum model, I recommend something that offers good protection for the aluminum body. The aluminum unibody MacBook is susceptible to dents and scratches more so than the hi impact plastic that was previously used.

Based on what I stated above, I recommend you go with the more expensive Speck see thru hard case for maximum protection. I realize it's two pieces of hard plastic for $49.95, but that's a lot less then replacing the case of your new MacBook. :(

Regards.

Yeah I agree. I just hope the clear case holds up and doesn't become an annoyance.

Reaction score
i have just bought the macbookpro 15 and I am getting the speck satin, I think with a satin finish it would not be AS prone to scratching as the glossy version.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have the 50 dollar Speck see-through case and have had no over-heating problems. I play games and watch movies and have had the fans run at 5000 rpms with no abnormal (abnormal in relation to the fans running at 5000 rpms without the case on) heat detected.

Now in reply to the scratches that a hardcase puts on your computer..I don't know. I think there are little scratches on my mac on the sides where the case grasps onbut nothing too bad. I much prefer these little scratches over a huge dent or huge scratches so I suppose it's all about what you'd prefer.

Oh and on a sidenote there is no noticeble difference in weight or anything and it looks just like my Macbook without the case on b ecause it's clear.

Hoped this helped,

Reaction score
I once put a Speck Hard Shell into my 15" MacBook Pro and for 5 months it hasn't been scratching my macbook pro. But what makes me annoyed me is that it add too much to thickness. I hate this part. MacBook Pro is supposed to be 1" thin. After that I search for an alternative, then I found InvisibleSHield. Yhis is a truly great product. It doesn't add up so much bulk as Hard Case did but it protects your macbook from scratch or anything else.

I've been using that invisible SHIELD for about a year now and I'm pretty happy about it. Haven't got any single scratch from anything else in my backpack. Nice eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (white) 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM OSX 10.5+, iPod Touch (2G) 16GB, iSight iMac G5, iPod Nano (3G)
Brenthaven Sling I or II.

I just bought a Brenthaven Sling I for my 13' MacBook.

It is an awesome bag. I also have a soft Incase sleeve which I use if not using that bag, for other cases.

My ONLY issue with it mmm.... is that the very corner of the MacBook on the upper left - if looking at the bag - sticks out more than I would like - IE not protected by the excellent padding that the rest of the MacBook is covered in. (I have a white 13.3" MB). The pocket is made for sure for the MB and fits perfectly and there is no room in that pocket for another sleeve.

So I am thinking that the Sling II would be the best bet, but not as small. Since I spent little over $150.00 :Angry-Tongue: (Canadian includes duty, shipping etc. jez) So, I cannot really justify getting the Sling II. However I am wondering if that bag would be as cramped for the 15' as the 13 bag is for the 13" MB? Matters not as I only have a MB.

Over all really happy with the bag. Consider.

If you want good protection in the smallest size, then go for the Sling I. If you want what I would call - the best protection - however in a not-so-small size - then the Sling II.

Apple, MacBook & MacBook Pro Messenger Bags - Brenthaven

I am really happy with the bag size, however as I travel a lot and want the computer protected. Has lots of little pockets as well for your phone etc....I have an YZF-R1 so when not traveling and commuting locally with this bag is going to be great in the summer going to work on the bike.

Oh.... and it LOOKS really cool as well. :Smirk:

Can't beat it. Based on this bag - I would say that Brenthaven seems to make really good stuff.

[BTW - it was back ordered for like two months as well. Maybe they are popular?]

Rate 9/10.

JMC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (MacBook5,1) Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2000 MHz 2 GB - DDR3 @ 1067 MHz NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
STM Bags

I have an aluminum case MacBook too, and share your concerns. I decided to go with an STM Bag. I'm using the 13" small alley but there are several other designs and sizes to choose from. I wanted something that would hold the MacBook securely, yet include room for peripherals, since I travel a lot, working out of hotel rooms and such, and I also wanted something that offered protective padding without being bulky, and that works well for me. I don't plan on dropping it out of a second-story window or anything but I think it would survive a fall. My wife has an iMac that she carries with her sometimes, and she found an STM Bag to fit her computer as well. STM Bags is an Australian company but they ship promptly to the states.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" Macbook Pro 4GB ram 160GB HD/8GB iPod touch 1G/iPod Classic 120 GB
i have just bought the macbookpro 15 and I am getting the speck satin, I think with a satin finish it would not be AS prone to scratching as the glossy version.

I agree, the see thru is nice but it will without a doubt show scratches and I've seen some people say that it can actually scratch your macbook. I would go with the see thru satin case, it wont show scratches.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
I use Second skins for my macbooks. They make them specifically to fit the Macbook line of products. You can then through them into any case or backpack you want. I have no scratches as I keep it in the skin when not in use.

Reaction score
I've had my Macbook for about 4 month, it is intact, no scratches, nothing. Many friends of mine keep on tell me to protect it with a cover, but personally i just dont like to cover the beautiful design the macbooks have. That's one of the reason why i like apple so much. Why pay for a nice design if you are going to cover it.

I do respect that you care for your notebooks. It is just my opion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I currently use the invisishield and a black apple sleeve for my 15mbp, along with a targus notbook bag.. I have a speck and no longer use it. It adds to weight and thickness. It also scratches the areas that clip on to your mac. One thing I dont like about the speck cases is that they can actually crack and brake.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just bought the new 15" MBP a few days ago. Is this the correct version of speck products for my MBP. Why is it described as black keys?

Obvious answer...because it has "black keys"!

Previous MBP had silver keys.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (2009) -2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo -iPhone 3G
lol wow...yeah sorry for that question, I was on my friends's older macbook thinking it was the newer one, but it didn't have black keys. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol wow...yeah sorry for that question, I was on my friends's older macbook thinking it was the newer one, but it didn't have black keys. :p

No problem...I was scratching my head when I read your post.

Some of the "nicknames" Apple computers get sometimes do need an explanation...but the "black keys" MBP..is just that.

I got a "chuckle" out of it too! Kinda like...Who's buried in Grant's tomb! ;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More Then I Can Count
I got the new MBP Unibody and first thing I did was put the Zagg invisible shield.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the new MBP Unibody and first thing I did was put the Zagg invisible shield.

Looks like a pretty decent product...although I personally am not that crazy about the "stick-on" shield products...and at $54.99 (zagg.com website price)...it's kind of pricey!

How does the Zagg shield fit on the MBP?. Does it actually "curve" around the edges of the laptop, and protect the sides as well?

What parts of the laptop does it protect:

- just the outside?
- the trackpad & palm rest areas?
- the keyboard?

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White Leopard, 10.5.7, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB Memory, 148 GB, iWork '08, iLife '09

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.