Can the Mac Mini accept PC3200 ram?

N

najibs

I know the mini comes with PC3200, but seeing as PC3200 is more readily available and cheaper to find these days, will the mini accept and work properly with PC3200 ram?

I know that if it did work, it would obviously run the memory at PC2700 speed, but all i need to know is if PC3200 will work at all.

OP
W

warrenbert

Shouldn't be a problem. You can almost always use faster memory at a lower speed. I have 512MB PC2700 in my iBook, which has 256MB PC2100 on the system board.

Reaction score
Yes, it actually comes with PC3200, at least mine did, I have a stick of Kingston PC3200 in there now, works just fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
They work just fine, except that they will running at PC2700 speeds.

OP
E

EvoMac

I've heard rumors that some brands work and some will not. Is this correct? Because I am looking to put a 1gb strip into my mini and dont want to get the wrong one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini @ 1.5Ghz, 1GB ram, 12.1" ibook 1.33Ghz 1GB ram
itloser said:
I've heard rumors that some brands work and some will not. Is this correct? Because I am looking to put a 1gb strip into my mini and dont want to get the wrong one.

i have a kingston 1GB strip in mine, as long as you go with a well know brand (crucial, kingston, samsung, corsair, OCZ etc) you should not be faced with any compatibility problems

OP
E

EvoMac

pscl227 said:
i have a kingston 1GB strip in mine, as long as you go with a well know brand (crucial, kingston, samsung, corsair, OCZ etc) you should not be faced with any compatibility problems

Thanks I will be upgrading this week, most likely with Kingston, as that is what I have used in my PC's for years and have had no problems)... now to get those putty knifes to not scratch my mini :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.