• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

17" iMac coming?

Reaction score
I don't talk or read Italian, but the little bit of english in the top is mentioning a 17" imac.
You can check the website here.
Who knows more?
It will start at $ 899

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB | 8GB iPod Nano
That would be a step in the wrong direction.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That would be a step in the wrong direction.

How so? The wider the price range, the broader the appeal, especially in the current economic conditions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
^ Exactly. If Mac Mini can exist, the low end white macbook can exist, why not 17" iMac?
Though killing a product and bringing it back is not something that Apple does, generally.

One thing. The price of 899$ will kill the high-end Mac Mini. It might be priced higher.. Or it might be a false call altogether.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
Added: The website say its could be for education purposes. Isnt Apple already providing discounts for the education sector? Or is this the new eMac?

Or maybe this decision has been fueled by recession? But introducing a new product alltogether during recession. That could be stupid.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How so? The wider the price range, the broader the appeal, especially in the current economic conditions.
Absolutely. If Apple is ever going to start producing cheaper machines, this would be the perfect time.

Added: The website say its could be for education purposes. Isnt Apple already providing discounts for the education sector? Or is this the new eMac?
They do offer educational discounts but they are nothing spectacular (trust me). From what I can glean from the article, my guess is that the 17" iMac (if it actually happens) would be sold directly to educational institutions for use in classrooms and not necessarily for the general public. I draw this conclusion primarily from this statement: "17-inch iMac designed specifically for the educational sector."

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think it would be a great idea to have a lower cost iMac even with a 17" screen, but I have a feeling Van is correct and it will be for the education market only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It'll be the new replacement to the e-mac. Sure people outside the education sector could get their hands on them but what van said I agree with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB | 8GB iPod Nano

Since big screens are cheaper now i feel these savings should be passed onto the consumer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Since big screens are cheaper now i feel these savings should be passed onto the consumer.

Well, I absolutely agree with you - but this IS Apple we're talking about ;)

OP
RobbertV
Reaction score
I think it's especially to get schools buy Macs instead of Dells and HP's.
Ofcourse 1100 euros (dunno the dollarprice) is a lot if you need 20.
Every 200 euros less, is usable for a schooltrip :p

My statement is: The bigger the better
So even IF it will become a costumer-mac, I would not even think of buying it :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
Sounds like a step in the right direction. Personally, I don't like not being able to get the faster chips, bigger drives, more memory with a smaller screen and being forced to buy the huge 24" iMac just to get the speed.

Hope they include that option in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
Sounds like a step in the right direction. Personally, I don't like not being able to get the faster chips, bigger drives, more memory with a smaller screen and being forced to buy the huge 24" iMac just to get the speed.

Hope they include that option in the future.

Sometimes I feel my 24" screen is too small :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Update to this story: it's not coming, it's just the old 17" being sold to educational institutions. Link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Exactly. The 17" iMac (white case, 1.83GHz, Intel GMA) has always been available to institutional customers. It was never fully discontinued.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250gb
idk if this is true or not but I would definately buy one of these for 899...however i feel that it will be a little more expensive than 899 but hey if it atually is for 899 then that would be awesome! i would buy one so fast!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250gb
shoot for educational purpose only well i was excited for about 5 seconds and now im not lol oh well

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.