Parallel-USB Adapter for HP LaserJet Printer? Anyone Have Experience/Suggestion?

G

GTwinkie

When I first picked up my iMac G5, it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't have a Parallel Port for my HP LaserJet 6P.

I did some googling and found a Parallel-USB Adapter. Will this work?

If so, the question becomes, which one do I buy? I've seen some generic ones for $14.99 on Tiger Direct, a $69 one from Belkin, and a $39 from Keyspan that talks about their proprietary Printer Configuration software.

Do I really need software?! It should just be plug 'n play, right?

Does anyone have experience using any of these and have a suggestion or two on 'em?

Thanks!

Reaction score
GTwinkie said:
When I first picked up my iMac G5, it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't have a Parallel Port for my HP LaserJet 6P.

I did some googling and found a Parallel-USB Adapter. Will this work?

If so, the question becomes, which one do I buy? I've seen some generic ones for $14.99 on Tiger Direct, a $69 one from Belkin, and a $39 from Keyspan that talks about their proprietary Printer Configuration software.

Do I really need software?! It should just be plug 'n play, right?

Does anyone have experience using any of these and have a suggestion or two on 'em?

Thanks!

I have the Belkin F5u002 one, and yes it does work. As long as there is a Mac driver for the printer it should work with no problem. I used it on an Ibm 4019 printer, but Mac doesn't have a driver for that printer, but the printer has an HP emulation mode, so wa la, it works...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A close friend of mine and his wife owned a HP LaserJet 6P. They sold it without asking me first about drivers for OSX. I checked and the HP LaserJet 6P is there. So like James said, with the Parallel-USB Adapter it should work fine. I know James HP worked with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.