Finder crashes on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro which is 2 years old and now I am having my first problems with it.

The mac has gone way slower on start-up just a few days ago. If I try to open files, folders or programs the finder crashes (the spinning cursor appears and wont stop). I cant reopen the finder after this happens. Some files I was able to open, but none of the programs such as disk management etc. I cant even get to the "extra software" folder in the programs folder (what ever it is in english) before the finder crashes. For example Safari works quite well, but it also crashes after a while, if I try opening some files or folders.

Busted hard drive maybe?

Any solutions I could try?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It could be a sign of the drive going out. How much free space do you still have?

OP
S
Reaction score
Around 10 GB

Funny in a way... I just paid the last bill from the leasing contract I had, and now the mac goes busted. The leasing contract had an insurance for such problems.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It still could be a drive on it's way out, but maybe you'll get lucky.

Am assuming your drive is at least 120GB or larger. Having less than 10% free space could be causing the issue.

I would suggest backing up the drive if you haven't done so, and then take a look at what you can get rid of to get the free space back up to around 20% of the drive size.

OP
S
Reaction score
More weird issues..

The mac wont recognize any of my external hard drives or any other mass media devices, usb sticks and so on.

o.o

.... restarted and now it works again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.