Good Idea?

A

awu_gigabyte

Hi all, i'm hopefully going to be a converter. I was hoping someone might have the same system i'm looking at getting and give me a review or what not..
(i'll try to remember the specs)

Power book g4 15 inch.
1.67 ghz
1 gig ram
100 gig 5400rpm hdd
radeon 9700 128mb

Right now i'm using a amd athlon 64 3200+ with a ati 9600 with 64mb.

Thanks in advance.

OP
M

meltbanana314

That's a pretty good configuration. I think Anand Shimpi of Anandtech uses a 15-incher similar to that one, so if he's happy with it, then you might be too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
OP
A

awu_gigabyte

with the student discount it looks like i can get it for right under 3k, i'm looking to completly leave windows behind. i had a mac when osx was first released and sold it b/c i was big into gamming then. I'm much more into the "unix" click now, and i think i would enjoy the experience more. I'm hesitant about the processor, since at 1.67ghz i'm not sure how that compares to the PC world. i know my 3200+ clocks at 2ghz, and i'm assuming that the mac procs are slightly more efficent than AMD's chips...But as i've beenr reading, finding true benchmarks is hard.

Reaction score
They would probably be the same. The frontside bus in the PB's are kind of weak. But i hear they are really powerful.

OP
J

jessica

I should have this by the 1st of the month:
512mb ram (will upgrade after apple--I like to save my pennies)
128mb vid
80gb hdd (same rpm, less storage)
i'll let you know how it holds up to a p4 with ht 256mb vid 1 gig ram.

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

Jessica, (or anyone who knows), can you upgrade the video memory from 64-128mb ram yourself or do you have to order it that way? (can't find anything on pbfixit.com)

OP
K

killer_bites

jessica said:
I should have this by the 1st of the month:
512mb ram (will upgrade after apple--I like to save my pennies)
128mb vid
80gb hdd (same rpm, less storage)
i'll let you know how it holds up to a p4 with ht 256mb vid 1 gig ram.

I should have my pb 1.67 SD 1GB Ram, 80GB HD, 128mb Vid by now, but noooooo. Apple always deliver my stuff weeks later, shipping is awful - this will be my first machine - when it comes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.