OSX Hard drive Problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought up a b&w G3 the other day, i don't know much about macs and this is the first time i have used one.

I'm having a few problems and any help would be greatly appreciated.

The first time i ran the mac is loaded OS9 which worked perfectly and i could clearly see 3 hard disks avaliable.
I then changed the startup disk to one with OSX 10.3.9 on it. After restarting it just turned to a black screen after the chime and did nothing. I kept reseting it and it just randomly loaded OSX.

My problem is that on OSX i cannot see the other 2 HD's. I have looked in disk utility and they still cant be found....
I've checked all the connections and they are all ok, it sounds as if the hard disks are spinning aswell.
Its very weird that they can be found on OS9 but not OSX.

Please help. :Smirk:

OP
S
Reaction score
dont worry

Dont worry guys and girls, my G3 wont even turn on now :Grimmace:
I was putting a different power supply in and i accidentally flipped the red voltage switch and it went POP very loudly and smoke came out.

fail

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Dont worry guys and girls, my G3 wont even turn on now :Grimmace:
I was putting a different power supply in and i accidentally flipped the red voltage switch and it went POP very loudly and smoke came out.

fail

As the Surgeon General said: "Smoking can be hazardous to your health". :)

Looks like you may have blown an electro cap in the power supply or power chain. Might be a good idea to check all the caps - after replacing the power supply again. If you're lucky, the rest of the machine might be OK.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.