kind of sounds like a plane is taking off in my computer
any one else hear this
I have a dual 1.8 G5 i bought it last april
everything still works fine
well,,, final cut crashed on me but that was it

OP
M

meltbanana314

The G5 is a beast... it has something like a dozen fans in the top model to try to keep the processors cool. It's not something that you want to have in the main room of your recording studio, that's for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
meltbanana314 said:
The G5 is a beast... it has something like a dozen fans in the top model to try to keep the processors cool. It's not something that you want to have in the main room of your recording studio, that's for sure.

Alright, although I'm sure you meant well by posting this, and it is somewhat accurate[9 fans in DP 2], it is very misleading.

The way he describes it, the fans are running abnormally higher than they should be. Apple claims it to be whisper quiet, and in a quiet office room, It proves be just that. Once in a while when you are running some more intensive tasks the fans will beef up a bit, but nothing like a plane taking off.

Call up apple - 1800MYAPPLE

OP
M

meltbanana314

Ah, sorry. I misread the post.

My PowerBook does get quite noisy when ripping CDs, but it doesn't get as loud as a plane by a long shot. Calling Apple does seem like the best idea.

Reaction score
I experience the same problem with my Dual 2.5's. Something as simple as browsing the web can cause the fans to spin up. Apple tried to release a fix for this in 10.3.8, but it doesn't seem to have helped very much. The G5 just isn't a quiet system..at least not like past Macs. The noise doesn't really bother me though...usually can't hear it over the music :)

OP
A

adamxj2

it isnt like a plane taking off I was being funny HA HA
I have been using it for a lot of video REAL BIG files
like 1 or 2 gigs
i am just concerned because if I had to bring it in to get fixed
I will not get by with my g3 ibook
do you think I should bring it in?

Reaction score
If the system is crashing, or showing any signs of instability, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't really think this is a "problem"...the G5 is just a loud system.

OP
A

adamxj2

i feel a bit better
hearing that but I still am going to extend my warranty
it is almost up
thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
Avid6eek said:
I experience the same problem with my Dual 2.5's. Something as simple as browsing the web can cause the fans to spin up. Apple tried to release a fix for this in 10.3.8, but it doesn't seem to have helped very much. The G5 just isn't a quiet system..at least not like past Macs. The noise doesn't really bother me though...usually can't hear it over the music :)

Look in activity monitor and see if anything is using a lot of the CPU power...

I got the fans spin while using safari and noticed it was using 60+% of my CPU power! :bomb:

but that was with lots of tabs open

Reaction score
A web browser simply should not be using that much in the way of resources. I uninstalled Safari after about a week because it was pretty crappy for a broswer. I have been using Mozilla since then. It has a few problems of it's own, but it also has some great features.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.