Printer Not Recognized

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not Mac literate but I bought a new printer for my girlfriend who has a Mac, the printer is a Canon MP480 and I installed the Drivers on the accompanying disk, did a reboot but when I try to check the System Printer preferences the printer still doesn't show up.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you went to System Preferences, Print & Fax, and you properly installed the drivers for the Canon, it should be listed.

Try downloading the updated printer driver for OS X from this link. See if that makes a difference.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for that link. I will definetly try it out.

I am also wondering if it has something to do with the cable that goes from the Mac computer to the Canon printer?

I bought it off of eBay and it said it was compatible. I try and test it by hooking it up to the computer and the printer and when the computer goes to sleep/screensaver etc., I will unhook it at the printer end to see if the computer wakes up and it does so I am assuming the computer is recognizing it.

Also, on PC's typically when a driver is installed even if the printer isn't hooked up to the computer it will show up in the Computer->Preferences->Printer section. I wonder if the Mac works in the same way?

Thanks again for any thoughts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Assuming you went to System Preferences, Print & Fax, and you properly installed the drivers for the Canon, it should be listed.

Try downloading the updated printer driver for OS X from this link. See if that makes a difference.

Regards.

I've a similar problem, I can see the networked printer, can make it print garbage using the wrong driver, but can't find the correct driver for it.

the canon ip6210d is on usb with a xp machine. I don't really care that I can't print without the xp machine running; that's a problem for another day.

I downloaded the driver from the canon site and installed it. (curious how to "properly install" other than to run the pkg file downloaded, yes, I'm a mac newbie, sorry, speak slowly ;) ) but when I go to point the printer setup to the driver I cannot find it. can't find it in finder either.

I'm going to try your recommended website just to see if it makes a difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.