From macbook pro to mac pro

Reaction score
so i dropped my macbook pro last week and everything is working fine except the case.....so I thought why not turn my macbook pro into a mac pro by buying a mac pro case off ebay. I plan to use the macbok pro's screen in the mac pro buy cutting a hole in the side of the case and somehow attaching the 15" lcd making the case also the monitor. Any thoughts on how I can accomplish this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thoughts? :) Buy a new case for the MBP on eBay and save yourself lots of work and headaches. Just my opinion of course.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
so i dropped my macbook pro last week and everything is working fine except the case.....so I thought why not turn my macbook pro into a mac pro by buying a mac pro case off ebay. I plan to use the macbok pro's screen in the mac pro buy cutting a hole in the side of the case and somehow attaching the 15" lcd making the case also the monitor. Any thoughts on how I can accomplish this?

This sounds like an interesting project...from a uniqueness standpoint...but logically it doesn't make much sense to turn a nice portable computer into a BIG massive desktop computer.

Also, you won't be turning a MacBook Pro into a Mac Pro...You will simply be putting the MacBook Pro "guts" into an a large aluminum case that used to be a Mac Pro.

Another thought...even a dead or "busted" Mac Pro case on E-Bay is still going to be an expensive purchase...and with the Mac Pro case being so big & heavy...it's going to cost a lot to ship it as well!

As someone already mentioned, why not try to buy another MacBook Pro case off E-Bay?

I'm not trying to discourage you from giving this project a try...it sounds like a Unique thing to do.

But MacBook Pro's are still VERY good portable computers (the best laptops Apple currently sells)...so it makes more financial sense to keep it as a laptop.

Just my 2 cents, good luck in any case,

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
i was going for uniqueness as i really have no use for a full on laptop and for the price of a new bottom case i could buy a used mac pro case or a g5 then transfer the guts.

ill probably buy a netbook if apple does make one later this year anyways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.