dropped my macbook

Reaction score
:| dropped my macbook and now it makes a clicking noise inside and the screen comes up white and sometimes has a grey folder with a question mark int he center of the screen. took it to a apple repair place and they say its going to cost 67 to look at plus 135 per hour just to have a look and see if it can be fixed :Angry: ne one out there have any ideas of whats wrong and a diy solution ? much appreciated thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I take it the screen did not crack? Any other damage?

It sounds like the Hard Drive died during the fall hence the clicking and blinking folder. Which Macbook? Old White one? New one? With either you can purchase a new Hard Drive from say New Egg and install it yourself. Put in your OSX DVD that came with the Macbook and install away.

Some examples for you. 2.5" SATA Laptop drive.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Hard Drives,Laptop Hard Drives,SATA 1.5Gb/s,

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Hard Drives,Laptop Hard Drives,SATA 3.0Gb/s,

OP
L
Reaction score
its the white one. everything is fine except for the obvious, i know nothing about computers and thedisk have gone walkabout in a house move.can i purchase the "OSX DVD" from a store and what would i ask for? just go in and ask them for a OSX DVD for a macbook? does it have a correct name so the store people know what im talking about?

OP
L
Reaction score
do i need to purchase another harddrive? does this also mean i will need to purchase all the other software ie idvd,iphoto .... and i pick that because i didnt make back up files all my pics are gone as well?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would go to an Apple Store if you can and tell them you lost your OSX DVD for your Macbook in a move and be sure and tell them which model as the DVD's are machine specific. That way everything that came with your machine will be there including iLife.

The more expensive way is purchase a full install of Leopard but that costs way more and you will not get the applications that came with your MB.

And yes on the hard drive. It's easy to install. If you need help just ask.

OP
L
Reaction score
if it take my macbook into the store with me, they will know by looking at it what OSX DVD i will need? and roughly what price am i looking at to get the disks and hard drive ? just so i dont jump on the first shop offer i get as i am a poor student lol.
ps much appreciate your help too : ) thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you live here in the states or in another country? Here in USA New Egg has some of the lowest prices on drives. A lot better than anything local to me for sure!

Yes, if you take the Macbook to them they should be able to figure out what DVD you need.

OP
L
Reaction score
nope im in nz but thanks heaps i will try the stores and come back to you wen i have my stuff so you can help me install if i need ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck and we will be here if you need help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.