Frozen cursor on G5 iMac

Reaction score
I tried to attach an external HD to my G5 iMac computer(PowerMac) and the cursor became frozen in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I've tried to turn the computer off and on but i can't get the cursor to budge. Anybody had this problem. I'd appreciate suggestions. DavidKnox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Only with Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse and had to revert to wired keyboard and mouse. Upper LH corner is usually where they become struck.

Reaction score
FROZEN CURSOR on OLDER G5 MAC

I tried to attach an external HD to my G5 iMac computer(PowerMac) and the cursor became frozen in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I've tried to turn the computer off and on but i can't get the cursor to budge. Anybody had this problem. I'd appreciate suggestions. DavidKnox

Yes. A lot of people have had a frozen cursor. I had a frozen cursor PLUS G5 could not find the start-up CD OR the HD System to boot OR the Firewire bootable drive. CIRCLE with a SLASH across it no matter what I chose with arrow keys.

This particular Mac desperately needed a new battery. That's the little one on the chipboard inside that is a 3.6V Lithium. If that battery is old, your old Mac will not find a bootable drive. Once I replaced that, and zapped the PRAM three times holding down CMD-OPT-P-R until the start-up sounds three times. It boots from the 1st HD now.

Thing was cursor was still stuck top left so mouse was not working. If you're a Goodwill lover and a mouse killer. I've killed lots of mice with frustration, so I keep a lot of spares, old and new. I also do not like Bluetooth keyboards or mice -- flaky. Tried several mice and finally found one with the little USB tab that sticks in the back of the G5 monitor USB slot. Voila! It works now. Love this old buggy that boots both OS9 and OS10.4. Just love that legacy G5 PowerMac! And now it's back fully functional and A-L-I-V-E!

Gae Xavier @ GXStudios

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.