WD Passport Studio - bootable via 1394b?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a WD Passport Studio 500 GB that I'm using to backup my MBP 17" when i'm on the road. I created two partitions on the Passport - the first is a bootable partition (created using SuperDuper!). However, I'm only able to boot from its USB port. When I try the 1394b (Firewood-800) port, it is not being recognized as a bootable disk, even though it mounts and functions properly as a firewire device when my system is booted up by its internal drive.

I check the Western Digital web site for drivers I may be missing, but it appears all the drivers there are also included with the installation CD. And I know that will MBP will boot via firewire because I created a similar partition on the hard drive I'm using for Time Machine (a 1TB G-drive Q) - it is recognized and boots fine via firewire.

Is there anything I can do that will allow the Passport to boot with firewire (again it does boot via USB, so I know the clone is good)?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!!!

OP
S
Reaction score
I also want to add that under System Preferences>"Startup Disk," my WD Passport external appears (along with MacBook's internal HD), as a system from which the computer can be started from when it (the Passport) is connected either via Firewire or USB. It just that the USB connection works for this particular hard drive when it is used as a bootable disk.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It should work. I'd go ahead and start a support ticket with WD and see if they have any answers for it. The only thing I can suggest would be to try a different cable even though it appears to be working.

(There shouldn't be any drivers required.)

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks - I just registered the drive with WD and will start a support ticket tonight.

And I did discover that the Passport Studio (at least this particular one) will boot and run via firewire, provided that I disconnect and reconnect it at the point where the computer is looking for the drive to boot from. Apparently the drive is in some sort of sleep or standby mode at the point, if it is already connected to the computer during a re-boot. Powering (connecting the firewire) just prior to bootup awakens it to the point the Mac will see it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That says to me that there is something not right in the external enclosure.

The query of the port during bootup should wake up the drive. If you have it connected via FW, does the drive show up after you've booted or do you have to do the same thing, unplug and plug it back in?

Also, are you using the option key during bootup to select the external or have you only tried it through System Preferences / Startup?

OP
S
Reaction score
When I have the drive connected via firewire during normal boot, the drive is mounted and operates properly (icon appears on desktop, etc...). It also listed System Preferences > Startup Disk as a drive to start my computer (along with the MBP's internal drive). If I leave the drive connected, and restart the computer, press and hold the Option Key after the Mac tone, the internal drive is the only choice that is given to start the computer. If I disconnect the WD and reconnect it, then it appears as a option to start the computer.

I went to the Western Digital site and found a FAQ on making the Passport Studio bootable on Mac's. It says, "The external hard drive must contain a HFS+ GUID or APM (Apple Partition Map) partition in order to boot." It then gives instructions on how to make that partition. I'll try it later tonight and post results...

Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When you format an external, first use Apple Partition Map, even if one partition is selected, and then Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or however you wish to format the drive.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guess I just got lucky on mine. I'm positive I did not do that.

Does Disk Utility create the GUID or APM automatically on a non-partitioned drive when you go to partition it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Guess I just got lucky on mine. I'm positive I did not do that.

Does Disk Utility create the GUID or APM automatically on a non-partitioned drive when you go to partition it?

I believe it does. I didn't set mine up that way either, and after using Disk Utility it booted fine.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
When you format an external, first use Apple Partition Map, even if one partition is selected, and then Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or however you wish to format the drive.

My drive has the correct format (APM / OS Extended Journaled) - it is the automatic setting of the disk utility, so I guess I will submit a support ticket to WD...

No emergency - I created the bootable partition with my Mac's install so I could run still my computer in the event of an internal hard drive failure (knock on wood) - most likely will never need it. And it does boot normally from USB. If I need it, I can get it to boot via firewire by connecting it after pressing the option key during start ups.

Thank you all for your input!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Interesting. MY Seagate external did not automatically APM and could not get it to boot the FW800 G4 until such time as it was partitioned mapped manually. What happens if you require two, or more, partitions?

Take it you then would have to partition manually?

Reaction score
My drive has the correct format (APM / OS Extended Journaled) - it is the automatic setting of the disk utility, so I guess I will submit a support ticket to WD...

No emergency - I created the bootable partition with my Mac's install so I could run still my computer in the event of an internal hard drive failure (knock on wood) - most likely will never need it. And it does boot normally from USB. If I need it, I can get it to boot via firewire by connecting it after pressing the option key during start ups.

Thank you all for your input!!!

Any further development in this case ?
Same problem here ....:Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.