Install XP on VMFusion using an HP install disk

Reaction score
I have Vista installed on my MacBook Pro, using VMFusion. It's like molasses. I'd like to install XP without forking out several hundred more dollars. I have an XP install disk that came with an HP laptop that I used to use. Would I be able to install Windows XP using this install/restore disk?

Reaction score
That probably violates the EULA, but without seeing it, I can't tell. My advice is to just give it a try to create the VM - you don't have to delete the one you have, just make a new one. You'll find out soon enough if it doesn't work, and the VMs are easy to delete. But it probably won't work.

I note that OEM copies of XP on newegg.com are pretty cheap, around $100. Another option to speed up Vista is to max out your Mac's memory.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have Vista installed on my MacBook Pro, using VMFusion. It's like molasses. I'd like to install XP without forking out several hundred more dollars. I have an XP install disk that came with an HP laptop that I used to use. Would I be able to install Windows XP using this install/restore disk?

As you've been advised, installing the HP OEM version is a violation of the MS EULA and it more than likely will not work anyway. Best advice is to forget it.

If Vista is slow, add more memory and update the current Windows video driver (if possible) that you're using.

Another option is to get rid of Vista entirely and install the free Windows 7 public beta that's available. It can be used until sometime this Summer before it expires. Windows 7 is faster than Vista and so far looks good.

Regards.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll give it a try to see if it works.

*I was going to try with Windows 7 beta, but it looks like I just missed the Windows 7 beta download.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If you are a student, you can get Windows Server 2003 and 2008 for free through the DreamSpark program. That's how I got Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.