external monitor problem

Reaction score
Hello

Just bought my first Mac, a MacBook Pro 15" 2.93 which is gorgeous but it has one problem with is driving me mad. I cannot get it to work with my external monitor.

I have a Hyundai 24" wide screen 1920 x 1200 monitor which is basically a Samsung screen in a different box. I cannot get the MacBook to run at anything more than 1920 x 1080, that his the highest option it offers me even though it identifies the monitor correctly. This is causing the monitor to flicker dreadfully and is unusable.

I am running the MacBook plugged into the mains with a mini-DVI adapter and the lid down. It seems to all be set up correctly.

Can anyone help

Many thanks

R

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina, iPhone, iPad Air, wife's iMac, iPad Retina & MacBook
I find this amazing as the specifications clearly allow the desired resolution, which is 16:10 just as the MacBook.
Maybe need to check for a new driver for the monitor.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming you're going from the mini DVI adapter to a DVI cable to the monitor? If so, try using a mini DVI adapter to VGA and then in to the VGA port on the monitor. See if that will increase the resolution. Your MBP can certainly go a lot higher but it seems it's not properly detecting the native resolution of the monitor.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.