iTunes Problem

J

Jefe3223

I need a little help. Here's the overall deal: I can't open my itunes. It says iTunes can't be open, there isn't enough memory. Well I took a look at my handy-dandy activity monitor and it says there's at least half it's cpu memory available (i think there should be more but I'll focus on one problem at a time). So I don't know what to do. I'd really like some suggestions.

Can't open.jpg

CPU.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
mac specs? os version? have you tried restarting your mac? how much hd space is left?

OP
J

Jefe3223

Macman said:
mac specs? os version? have you tried restarting your mac? how much hd space is left?
ibook, os 10.3.4, 1.2GHz PowerPC G4, 512 MB memory. I've restarted and shutdown my comp. I have a 55.76GB hardrive, with 21.04 being used, and 34.72GB available. I have itunes version 4.7.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you tried repairing permissions or resetting your pram? to reset pram, shut down your mac, while starting up, hold downcommand+option+P+R until you hear the chime 3 times, then release the keys and let it finish starting up.

OP
J

Jefe3223

Macman said:
have you tried repairing permissions or resetting your pram? to reset pram, shut down your mac, while starting up, hold downcommand+option+P+R until you hear the chime 3 times, then release the keys and let it finish starting up.
I tried repairing permissions earlier, and that didn't work. I was hopeful with the prams, though...but that didn't work either. :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Go to

<your username>/Library/Preferences and delete all the preferences that say iTunes in them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in that case, I suggest deleting itunes preferences, its here:
mac hd>users>your username>library>preferences>com.apple.iTunes.plist(delete this file, restart.

OP
J

Jefe3223

Macman said:
in that case, I suggest deleting itunes preferences, its here:
mac hd>users>your username>library>preferences>com.apple.iTunes.plist(delete this file, restart.
Did that, answered the questions, and BAM! got that message again. Bah.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try reinstalling itunes, use pacifist to extract it from the panther install discs and install it so you doont have to do the whole os.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
have you tried downloading the latest Itunes and reinstalling it? Sounds like you have covered everything else. Do all your other Applications work? All other IApps?

OP
J

Jefe3223

i used pacifist (for the first time, mind you) and did the verify thing. That said there were things missing etc. It still doesn't work. SO, before I replace the whole thing, I just wanted to make sure if there's a way I don't lose all my music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You can erase everything associated with iTunes except for the Music Library and everything will stay intact. Just open up a finder window and in the search bar type in iTunes. Delete everything except for the Music Library and try reinstalling

OP
J

Jefe3223

Wow, was that a long arduous process. Thanks for all of your help (especially Macman: thanks for all your help and timely responce). I need to go through and put music back on itunes, but other than that, everything works great now. Have a good night. -JJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.