Mail: How can I make it display names from Address Book?

Reaction score
Hi,
In the "From" Column is it possible to make it display names from the address book? Not the ones from the users e-mail account.
And one more question. Can you make Mail Display only the unread mail?
Sorry for the dump questions, I am new.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15"
You should be able to sort your mail so that all your unread messages appear on the top by clicking the top of the column that appears to have just a little circle in it (this column shows whether the email is new or has been replied to). Alternatively, you can set up a smart mailbox that displays unread messages only from the Mailbox menu in the top bar.

As far as I know, Mail automatically displays the names you have entered in your Address Book that are associated with the respective email addresses. If you don't have the email address in their contact info, it won't make this connection and so will display the standard name.

-Nik

OP
O
Reaction score
When I open the message it recognizes the sender. But in the list view in the column "From" the name remain as the user has chosen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15"
Actually, yes, I see this now. I use Mail at work and I have a few in my list that are not displaying that way. You could try playing around with your view settings in Mail preferences, but I'm not sure you'll find a solution there. The only thing I could think of would be to set up a rule to have Mail run an applescript that changes the name of the sender somehow if the sender is in your Address book. But that sounds like a bit of a hassle for something so simple.

Darn, 1 for 2 (assuming the other worked).

-Nik

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.