I think I killed my iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
About 30 minutes ago, I was working on my iBook and accidentally pressed down on it with my elbow (I was sort of inadvertantly leaning on it). So out of seemingly nowhere the computer freezes, and the cursor turns into a spinning beach ball. At the time, I was in Photoshop finishing a drawing I had spent all day working on. At first, it was only Photoshop that was frozen, so I clicked on the desktop and was in Finder which wasn't frozen, and pressed F11 (my shortcut) to take a snapshot of the screen (because I hadn't saved the drawing in like an hour). That was when the whole computer just froze up. So I had no Idea if the snapshot saved, but it didn't matter. After about ten minutes of saying to myself "no. no. no. no…" I shut it down with the power button and booted to my iPod (which has Mac OS X installed on it). And sure enough when it was done booting up, the iBook's hard drive wasn't on the desktop. It also didn't show up in Disk Utility, Techtool Pro, or in the Startup disk list. When the computer first starts up, I can hear the hard drive making a weird clicking noise. I figure I am at a fork in the road. Turning left means I cam completely screwed. Turning right means I call Apple tech support and the guy tells me to restart and type in command-option-i-h-m-f-l-whatever, and it fixes it. Any suggestions?
Thanks

N

nbn22385

So i'm guessing you leaned on the left side? That would be the hard drive and you may have fatally wounded it.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it was the left of the trackpad, below the keyboard. Right above the hard drive. But how could that possibly have fatally wounded it? I mean, what kind of piece of crap computer breaks just because you lean on it? Honestly, I ask you…

Reaction score
Yeah, you might have put to much pressure on it then scratched the disk inside the hard drive... i've done it before.....

D

Desolate One

corysw said:
I mean, what kind of piece of crap computer breaks just because you lean on it? Honestly, I ask you…

Well you have to figure the machine isn't a solid hunk of material. And then you have to ask yourself how much pressure did I apply, and in how small of an area. I'm sure you've seen those blokes they lie down on a bed of nails. Well with thier weight evenly distributed out it's creates less force then if they were to step on the bed (foot having less surface area then your entire backside). Hence the idea of snow shoes, snow tires (being thinner thus less prone to ride "on" the snow), and cab-forward designing in automobiles- a little off the mark but also regarding weight distribution.

So yah, it's a huge piece of crap and I'll be more then happy to take it off your hands. ;)

M

mangoSharingan

Desolate One said:
Well you have to figure the machine isn't a solid hunk of material. And then you have to ask yourself how much pressure did I apply, and in how small of an area. I'm sure you've seen those blokes they lie down on a bed of nails. Well with thier weight evenly distributed out it's creates less force then if they were to step on the bed (foot having less surface area then your entire backside). Hence the idea of snow shoes, snow tires (being thinner thus less prone to ride "on" the snow), and cab-forward designing in automobiles- a little off the mark but also regarding weight distribution.

So yah, it's a huge piece of crap and I'll be more then happy to take it off your hands. ;)

Lol, now I wished I had never read this thread. Now I have a feeling that I will be tempted at times to press down to see how much pressure it can take before it breaks. I must forget I ever read this thread soon, lol.

R

ryanyogan

If it is under warranty you can get away with saying "I turned on the computer and out of no where this happened", they will nail it down to a faulty hard drive ;)

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So how do I fix it? Because right now I'm using my iPod as a hard drive and I'm not sure how long it will last.

X

xthisisRomancex

give apple care a call and as stated above tell them you turned it on and nohing happened.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.