Is it possible to run both XP and Windows 7 on seperate partitions

Reaction score
Hello

I have been running Windows XP (32bit) for some time via Boot camp and would now like to give Windows 7 a try. However I would still like to keep my XP partition and run Windows 7 (64bit) on a separate one.

Is this possible? If so how would I go about doing so?

My second question is if I were to go ahead, where would I get the 64bit drivers? Would they be the same as the ones used for VISA (64bit) featured in the Boot Camp Update 2.1

Oh yeh FYI I am running a Mac Pro desktop (1st generation)

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
I actually just did the same thing. :)

Just back up your XP partition with Winclone, so you can restore if necessary. (Which I am going to, since I use it for casual gaming and Windows 7 isn't ready yet.)

You can't have both, so back up your XP, uninstall it, and install Win7 x64.

Hope that helps!

Reaction score
You can't have them both installed under Boot Camp, you need to have one or the other. You can, however, have them both installed under Fusion or Parallels. My advice would be to get one of those, have it create a VM based on your current Boot Camp installation, then install Win7 as another virtual machine. If you have enough memory, you can even run all 3 OS's simultaneously - which is pretty cool. However, in the VM you won't have access to all the video hardware in your Mac, so gaming under Win7 would be a challenge, but apart from gaming, that will work just fine (and if you have one of the newer Macs with the integrated nVidia graphics, many of your games may work fine in the VM).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.