Just bought a new iMac G5 BUT...

C

code777

I bought my iMac G5 from CompUSA. I got the 1.6ghz version and I was able to get MS Office Student/Teacher for FREE (after mail in rebate). I also got an extra 512MB of RAM by PNY for $90 - $30 mail in rebate. BUT the Apple Rep told me some funky things. For one he told me that once CompUSA opens up my iMac G5 to install the PNY the warranty is void. OK. Then i asked him IF i were to buy this from the Apple Store and they put in the RAM (certif. Apple RAM) it should not effect the mfg. warranty, he said YES IT DOES, YOUR WARRANTY IS VOID. He kept pressing me to get Apple Care (which I did) so that once CompUSA install the RAM I would be covered. But I don't understand why he said EVEN IF Apple RAM is installed the warranty is still void. He also said, "LCD screens lose pixels within two years" and that Apple Care is a bargin. He kinda got me mad and I expressed it but...

To top it all off, when I got home and took out my new beauty, ITS ALL SCRATCHED UP! AND looks like when CompUSA boys took the iMac out they must have touched the LCD screen as well. UGH!

I'm unsure if the people at CompUSA scratched up my iMac G5 or if it came from the factory all scratched up. I know my iBook G4 came all scratched up but am unsure if this is normal!?!?!?! I would think NOT.

Thoughts? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Don't buy it from compusa. Either buy it at the apple store or apple.com for the best results. Also installing ram does not void your warranty unless you damage something in the computer.

OP
C

code777

argh, so this so called Apple REP at the CompUSA is incorrect?

too late, i bought it at CompUSA. I just got back from the apple store but since it was so busy I couldn't talk to anyone about my experience at CompUSA. I got it there because they have 36mo. same as cash. So I took advantage of it, also I got MS Office for free which was another reason why i went. But my new iMac is all scratched up near the apple logo!!!! but when i went to the apple store to look at the display models SO ARE THEIRS!?!?!?!?! WHAT THE....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes he is incorrect you can install ram yourself and not void the warranty unless a problem that occurs to the system is a result of you installing it.

The display models in apple stores are always in rougher condition because they are always being moved around by salesmen answering peoples questions. I have a 17" iMac and it has no scratches on it

OP
I

iDVFH.

As smart as Apple is with their design..why don't they use a material that is scratch-poof or even scratch-resistant..and if Apple says their plastic is scratch-resistant there wrong..cause the lightest thing can cause a scratch on my iBook..CompUSA is horrible..their salesmen suck and so does their selection

OP
Z

zap2

i would say always go to the apple store or apple online for the best buy. They make the hard and software and ship the computer to you ,no thrid party trouble

im so happy theres a mac store 25 minutes from my house[which is close becuase in my town there are 4 stores, a bar ,a liquor store,wawa, a gardening store]

Reaction score
CompUSA really pushes the Apple Care, when I bought my mini iPod I had to argue with the guy for about 10 mins before he would just give me the iPod. He tried to make the iPod sound like a huge piece of crap just to sell AppleCare. He said things like the non-replacable battery only lasts 3 months and the screens go out all the time.

Adding memory to your system doesn't void the warranty, just look at Apple's site.

OP
C

code777

well can i go back to CompUSA and return Apple Care?? I think I've been had guys. This kid kept saying "Dude, I work for Apple NOT CompUSA, if you do not believe me then that's your problem." I wanted to slap him. But I got Apple Care because I thought it would void the warranty. He said the second the CompUSA guys open up the iMac that's it, NO WARRANTY. I want to get my money back on this Apple Care if possible. Can I return the Apple Care???? I haven't even done anything with the box...

oh and to top it all off guys, the kids that installed the RAM for me FORGOT to give me back the box to the PNY RAM with the UPC (needed for the rebate), i'm gonna go back there and set these guys straight.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Please, keep us updated. I would like to know what happens, after a little visit to CompUSA. But that is a little uncalled for, about the sales guy pulling the wool over your eyes about the warranty.

Reaction score
Thats just dishonest, get pissed and go back in there to talk to a manager. I don't know what the return policy is on something like AppleCare but I would hope you could get a refund. I have had problems returning stuff there before. I bought something that was broken, I just wanted to return it since CompUSA is 40mins from me and I didn't want to exchange then possibly end up with another broken one. I had to argue to return it, then I had to argue to get a full refund, then I had to argue to get cash instead of store credit.

Show them this from Apple and tell them that their employee told you the contrary in order to get you to buy Apple Care: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
You should just threaten to take back the whole computer, then see how the manager will scramble. He might give you some sort of discount or something. CompUSA could get in big trouble for that employee telling you false things, in order for you to buy the Apple Care like you did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Raise your voice...I always find if you are making a scene the managers will be quicker to help you out since they dont want bad business

OP
D

Danster

Yeah !! Go back and slap that kid who sold you the apple care and take the iMac back and demand they replace it with a none scratched one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
When did he buy the iMac? If you bought it within the last 14 days, I *think* you can return it for a full cash refund. Call up Apple,1800MYAPPLE, and order from them. Based on the purchase of 3 macs, I got discounts, and the fastest service by calling. It's always nice to be able to call up the same guy to get the latest on your product.

Reaction score
Only issue with speaking with a manager is that it's the "employees word against yours." I'm not that familiar with the apple care service/product, but it sounds like more like a "warranty", which so many stores are trying to push lately. Check this out...my brother purchased a computer cable at best buy for $10. The sale assistant asked him if he wanted to purchase a 3 year warranty for $9. For 5 minutes he tried to push the $9 warranty. Stores have become relentless/notorious with their warranties.

As for the scratches, I would definitely bring it back and put on a scene. If anything ask for your money back, or an exchange. If they permit you to exchange the computer, open the new one at the store, and inspect it. Also threaten that you will call your credit card company (if you used a credit card) to cancel the transaction....whatever something like that...

VJ

OP
K

kabwon

that employee also broke the law, so you could summons him, see how quick you get a full refund. maybe even get the whole deal free of charge. (or atleast 50% off)
atleast, its against the law where i come from and im sure that it must be over there in the US.

OP
C

code777

thanks for that link, i'm going to print it out and bring it with me to CompUSA, this kid is an idiot! Argh! Will keep you guys posted

Reaction score
Just to let you know, not all Comp Usa stores are rip offs. The one in my area has a nice Apple section to it and there are 2 salesmen there that know their Apples. They don't give you a load of C*** about stuff and are very helpful to those who don't know what they want.

Of course they will ask you if you want Apple Care when you buy one, but that is their job to do so, however, if you say no they don't go any farther with it. Your particular idiot was a liar and should be fired.

Go back, demand to see the store manager, raise **** with him, but be polite, personal attacks won't get you anywhere except out the door. It may not work, but what have you got to loose.

OP
C

code777

i'm going back in about 2hrs, i called and they told me they have my RAM box and there should be no problem returning the Applecare. so we shall see. I still want to show them that link because maybe that saleskid doesn't know his stuff. I should have known when he said it only takes 1/2hr to encode a DVD he wasn't all there.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.